CEPT operation

I would have expected it to be EA8 as that identifies the location, where EA does not.

The ARM actually says EA8 too.

Either is OK. Document link for Andy:

https://www.ure.es/english/general-information/417-licensing-and-basic-info-for-visitor-hams-.html

“Callsign to be used by visitors: EA + district + own callsign (EA/F1ZZZ) or EA + district + own callsign (EA4/F1ZZZ).”

So that would be EA8 then.

It would … however you can see there’s actually a mistake in the document. The first example “EA/F1ZZZ” is an example of EA + own callsign, NOT EA + district + own callsign. The second example is EA + district + own callsign as stated, so it does look like the first one is INTENDED to be EA + own callsign.

Whichever way you read it, EA8/ is absolutely fine. And if this is a mistake in the URE document as it appears, then that also confirms with the CEPT document that EA/ would be OK from EA8 too - although you would surely want to be DXCC-unambiguous!

Note that the CEPT document merely requires the EA - but does not prohibit the addition of a region number. “EA8/” would appear to keep everything and everyone happy.

Cheers Tom, Stu, that makes me feel less of a gumby. I think there are plenty of places where the local regs regarding CEPT and the CEPT doc do not quite marry perfectly.

As Barry says it’s not such an issue that the world will end when the wrong prefix is in use. Though it is technically in breach of the SOTA rules. However, we’re discussing it and it’s in the minds of more people so we should see fewer mistakes for some time.

There may be something else going on elsewhere in Europe, because I have very recently heard callsigns like SP/SP5ABC and F/F6XYZ being used on the HF bands!

Is this the new “stroke P”? Whatever next!

Walt (G3NYY)

Does anyone know if it is the RSGB or Ofcom you contact if foreign hams want to operate in the UK for more than 3 months, I did try Googling on this, but results on this weren’t clear to me. I would like to know this so I can add onto next year’s update along with stating that foreign hams use M/their callsign in England.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

Ofcom: as they issue licences.

Don’t do a big update to the ARM yet Jimmy. By the time the next one is published it will be done under the new system and your work may need changing.

I am not doing any updates until next year Andy. I will need to know how to use what is replacing ARMs so I can add the information required for foreign hams.

Jimmy M0HGY