Calling tom

why is it everytime tom is spotted on a ssb vhf/uhf frequency he always moves away. Is tom doing the chasing or staying put. ??? I have seen the spots a few times and then found tom calling further away from qro

In reply to M0SGB:

I have seen the spots a few times and then found tom calling further away from
qro

Can someone translate this as it doesn’t make sense to me.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy looks like my mobile phone is playing up again only half message. And you know that i always sign with my callsign. Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

That explains things.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
And i have forgot what i wrote steve m0sgb.

In reply to M0SGB:

Most of the contest stations spend part of their time calling on their frequency and part of the time in hunt and pounce mode, often using the twin VFOs. A common trick is to call a few times, change VFO, tune a few 10s of kilohertz, stop on an unworked station that is working someone (or if you don’t find anyone stop after a short time), go back to VFOa and call a few more times (thus holding the channel) switch back to VFOb and if the other station is CQing again, call him.

I don’t know that Tom does that, but it is quite possible. It is an efficient method!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Perhaps Tom calls “tuning high to low” after each CQ :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

High to low, low to high and both ends to the middle. I still have the crystals HI.

Regards, Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:

Golly yes, the old “Geographical” band plan, I still have my old crystals as a memento - huge things with pencil marks on to shift me away from other locals!

Thanks for the memories…that would be a good title for a song! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

I think Steve’s initial question was tongue-in-cheek Brian. Steve is an experienced VHF contester and has at least one Backpackers triumph to his name. He knows how contest operation goes!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I thought it probably was, Tom, but I went ahead anyway as it might have been useful for non-contesters!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Golly yes, the old “Geographical” band plan,

What’s this “old” stuff Brian… that band plan is still in use up here in Edinburgh!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Sorry, Andy, will “old-established” do?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom, Andy and Brian. Tom it is was not tongue in cheek, I have seen the spots for you when in contest, but never found you on that frequency, Yes i know from past contests what its like and how to do it. I have been spotted on a frequency and stayed to work as many contesters/chasers as possible, Only when the qso’s have dried up, have i gone tuning around to find other sqaures, I did hear a station from io92 here in Ramsbottom but very weak, sadly never got him, but did work a few others from the mobile.Any way hope you had a good time. phone’s rining and tea ready so must dash, (my excuse)

Steve m0sgb

“Only when the qso’s have dried up, have i gone tuning around to find other sqaures…”.

Indeed.

Tom M1EYP