Building Gear

Having spent the last six weeks or so building low current radios I am beginning to realise that a PP3 battery is far too large for this type of SOTA operating. I suspect that 400 QSOs are quite possible and I don’t really want to spend all summer running one battery down. I will probably just continue to use the first battery and see how that does.

Thus I think that I will finish off the new low-current RX and package it up as a curiosity - and a useful exercise in self training!

My attention is starting to switch to VHF. While I have built lots of VHF things I have never built a VHF transceiver. I quite fancy building a 2m CW transceiver and this is made much simpler with this device:

http://sdr-kits.net/PAOKLT/PA0KLT_Leaflet.pdf

With a bit of care a 15W CW rig will be quite simple to make - so that’s the target for the summer. I also have a desire to build a 23cm transceiver - but that can wait.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
FB Richard, will be interesting to see how that turns out. Must get round to building a radio again(someone else’s, not smart enough to design one myself ;-).
Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

My design idea is very simple. 144MHz in, J310 preamp, minicircuits mixer, 28.6MHz ladder filter (cheap crystals), NE602 mixer to AF

TX simple straight through system with 15W RF output FET.

Verging on trivial!

Richard
G3CWI