Boots

Farm hand had new pair of coveralls. He was being careful not to get dirty and his work was lagging. While moving some fence posts the farmer dropped a post in a puddle splashing the worker.
Near the end of the day another hand said, “It looked as if you deliberately dropped that log.”
“I did,” replied the farmer. “And did you see how much his work improved after that?”
Wear the Keens!

1 Like

My 2 cents, I recommend Merrills. I have had several pair over the last few years and they are some of the most comfortable boots I have worn. And when they get too old for the trail I retire them and wear them to work, have a pair on right now!

1 Like

But a child :grinning:

Hello All,
On third pair of OBOZ high-top boots. Oboz offers wide sizes, and the common knowledge is to order 1 size up from one’s usual. Mine are the Bridger MidBdry model. Oboz Men's Bridger Mid BDry Hiking Boot - YouTube
That said, in my opinion, for backpaking trips, the gold standard remains Peter Limmer & Sons, of Intervale, New Hampshire. Their heavy-duty backpacking boots are traditional Bavarian style leather, and custom boots are offered for a perfect fit. They weigh in at 5.5 pounds for a pair; the 16-inch naval guns of hiking boots. That said, the stability and support is exceptional. Custom boots are USD $700-ish. It’s you or them for the first 15 hours or so; after that, they are part of your body. If you do your part with the dubbing, etc. they will last a lonnnng time, and 2 rebuilds are about max. Check 'em out. https://www.limmercustomboot.com/limmer-custom-boots/
Related: severa studies have been done about a pound on the feet is like much more in the pack. 5 is a very good number; the studies I’ve seen referenced run from 4.7 to 5.5, if memory serves.
All Best,
Ken

1 Like

I’m on my third pair of Asolo Drifter GV’s. Gortex liner, Vibram sole, lightweight. It’s a great boot for the Colorado high country with all the rocks and talus slopes you encounter. If boots last more than 3 years you aren’t getting outside enough!! ;-).

73, Brads
WA6MM

LOWA CAMINO GTX since 2 1/2 years LOWA Produkte - perfekte Passform und Qualität | LOWA DE.
I’am very pleasd with these boots. After some weeks hiking in the swiss alps , also with parts on rubble and to scramble a little bit, I saw nearly no deterioration. With a pair of good hiking socks I feel good in the boots the whole day (about 1,5 kg for the pair).
One of the hikes: First activation of I/LO-038 (Monte Vago).

Hi Matt,

I have tried numerous boots over the years, from cheap Karrimor/Hi-Tec to more expensive options. The best so far for me have been Scarpa, La Sportiva (albeit B3 mountaineering boots, so not quite relevant here) and my latest set of Mammut’s, the Ayako High GTX model, available from a lot of places including Go Outdoors - see here: Mammut Men's Ayako High GTX Walking Boot | GO Outdoors

The Mammut’s have been really comfortable for long multi-day hikes (18mile+ per day) and support my ankles well, but do not rub, which is important as my right ankle is part metal now after a slip in mud using cheaper hiking boots resulted in a well broken leg/ankle a few years ago…

The only downside I’ve found with these boots and the previous Scarpa’s, is that they split across the top where they move with the toes/foot, but this is after 2+ years and 1000+miles of use, so I suppose I can’t moan too much (but I expect so much more for the price!!!). Nic my wife tells me I shouldn’t expect boots to last forever, even at this price point.

Having compared other options recently in a few outdoor shops, I’m probably going to replace like for like later this year. If you can compare some online pricing and use the Go Outdoors members card combined with a weekend discount or YHA offer, you should be able to get them for a lot less than the advertised website price; maybe not £125, but close enough to consider them… :wink:

Best 73,
Simon

Hi Simon , thanks for that funny enough its on my shortlist . What does YHA stand for ?? Also if you can find the price cheaper elsewhere they will beat the price by 10%

73 , Matt 2E0FGX

Hi Matt,

YHA members get 10% off everything at Go Outdoors, on top of the Go Outdoors members pricing. The 10% is not normally allowed off sale prices, but if you compare the boots with an online retailer, you can get the price matched plus the 10% off…

https://www.yha.org.uk/

Buying a joint YHA membership gives us discounts at other places and allows us to stay in hostels in Canada, France etc etc. It’s well worth the few £s each year. In fact we scrapped BMC membership and went for YHA because the offers for climbers were actually better. :slight_smile:

73, Simon

Hi Matt,

I have been really happy with my Salomon Escape GTX mids. I am on my second pair, the first lasted about 1000 points or so plus non SOTA hikes. They are very comfortable, light and have not had wet feet so far. The first pair failed with split sides, although the soles and rubber were rather worn at that point. I also have two pairs of Salomon low cut boots as well. Have found that this brand fit my feet well compared to previous brands.

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY

Who actually throws the retired ones away? For me there is always just one more walk in them.

And who has sole/boot glue for the favourite ones? I use this stuff: Repair Adhesives for Outdoor Gear and Shoes | GEAR AID

Hi Matt,
They may be a bit more than you want to pay but I seem to have standardised on Scarpa Ranger GTX (leather) for the last six pairs from 2006. They have just the right flexibility for me. The Goretex lining doesn’t last the life of the boot however but leaks are not serious. I keep a stock in the loft.

The tops wear out a little before the Vibram sole. They weigh in at 1.63kg for a size 9.5 pair but that might be with an added insole which I need. They are not crampon capable but despite that I have used the latter on them a couple of times. If my records are good and I’ve calculated it right, they are good for about 350 miles of SOTA activity and 35,000m of ascent, then I change them.

I also have a pair of Mendl Makalu Winter Boots (2.08kg & crampon capable) but they’re too stiff for me and only used once despite a lot of winter walking.

This is not what you’re after either but where air travel is involved I use a lightweight (1.02kg - size 9) boot from my local Mountain Warehouse called ‘Field.’ To save suitcase allowance for HF gear, I wear them on the aircraft - they almost pass as shoes at a glance. They are fabric with a lining and claim to be waterproof. The Vibram sole is more flexible than the Rangers but they are cheap at around £60. They last for two x 2-week holidays with maybe a dozen mountains then become too flexible and a bit tatty. Not ideal but needs must. I’m always over the 20kg baggage limit and packing leather boots is out of the question.

I tend to agree about Karrimor. I got a pair of leather ones from Sports Direct a few years ago for £30. They look much like the rangers, have a Vibram sole and a lining but as someone said, the good name has possibly been diluted and they must be cheap for a reason. However, I can’t say as I’ve never worn them. Maybe I should try them.

73, John

1 Like

Compton, my old boots end up as gardening boots and the older gardening boots get the flick.

1 Like

Cheers John .

Yes do look a good boot but i dobt really want to spend that sort of money on a pair of boots really .
https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-expeditor-ridge-2-0-walking-boots-p439480

These seem to get a good review . Worth a look at reading the reviews .

73 Matt 2E0FGX

I had a pair of Berghaus Explorer IV back 2006. Under £100, needed no break in and very comfortable. They were waterproof for 18months with no issues. But, they are very flexible and being a chunky monkey with a big heavy bag, I needed a stiffer sole. Also they went from good condition to falling apart very quickly. So good whilst they were OK they were not long lasting and it would become expensive quickly sticking with them versus something that lasts.

Goodness me John, six pairs in say 12 years. Hmm, I definitely need to get out more!

Currently I have three pairs on the go. My 2008 vintage Kayland Contact 1000’s are still in use on local trails, but I no longer use them in wet weather. They cost around £125 and were good for 240 summits before I retired them from SOTA use in June 2015. They fitted like gloves from the outset and are a bit like carpet slippers now, though the Vibram soles are well worn. I replaced these with Kayland Apex GTX in July 2015 at a cost of around £125 (now around £180) and they were comfortable from the start. I have done just 16 SOTA summits wearing them - hmm, I must use them more often!

My winter / wet weather boots are Berghaus Kibos, still going strong and have remained waterproof. They too needed no breaking in, but they are B2 crampon grade boots and stiff as a board. When checking the purchase details, I was surprised to find that I purchased them in January 2011 and they have done 130 SOTA outings. The grip from the Vibram soles on these is absolutely amazing. It’s a bit like having 4 wheel drive. The downside is they are quite heavy at a little over 2kg the pair. I seem to recall the price was around £175, but they are worth every penny… and they were made in China! They are no longer available - goodness knows what the cost would be now.

73, Gerald

1 Like

This was the article that got me thinking and doing more research.

2 Likes

And then there’s these:

Maybe my next pair…

Later,
Todd KH2TJ

Anyone in VK still got a pair of Blunnies? I do.

They seem to be just work boots now-a-days.

Couple of points i like to point out . Yesterday i got dropped off and walked around 10 miles home . But i crossed farmland through muddy fields where the mud was more like clay . In running shoes would you loose grip on clay ground thsts slippy ? Also i found myself grossing through a ditch which was flooded , was a muddy bog cross stream and in trainers you would end up that much inside the shoe surley ?
Also those with wide feet like myself dont fit into walking shoes like salamon etc.

73 Matt 2E0FGX