Billinge on the 26/04/08

My apologies for those who I let down on SP 17 yesterday.The battery gave out.All the best 73 Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

Nice to work you on 2m Geoff. I switched from HF to the 6m antenna on my 706 and wondered why you never appeared, I had tuned to 70.155 - Opps! I retuned to 50.155 and was just in time to hear someone say “his batteries have died”. I’ll get you next time. Thanks for the effort and the points.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:Hi Steve.I use a 706 at home and it has been broad banded.I have been warned not to transmit on 4 meters so have never tried it does yours transmit ok on 70 meg.Regards the battery I picked the wrong battery and left the one I had charged back at home all the best Geoff.

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff,
Short answer is no, it receives (even using the 2m beam) very well but I believe there is a mixer somewhere in the TX circuitry that is very close to 70mHz (a 68Mhz IF, I think)and therefore 70mHz TX will be removed by the internal filtering doing what it is designed for and extended attempts to transmit would no doubt cause damage to this part of the electronics. Someone else may be able to confirm this or explain better than me.

The reason why I was on 4 metres was the rig seems to have remembered it as a separate band after I had been ear wigging on the 4m contest. I had been on 2m so two pushes of the band button usually drops me from 2 to broadcast to 6m, now it goes by way of 4m, probably a good job I did not call you.

Steve

In reply to GW7AAV:Hi Steve you have confirmed what I suspected.But I thought you had found a way around it.Thanks Geoff