Billinge Hill or The Cloud

I am coming to Chester UK next Monday January 25th. My flight arrives early on the morning so I had an option to make short visit to close summit on afternoon if I had SOTAmate with car and SW-antenna. I can bring my FT-817 but antenna and mast not. Based on SOTA map the most potential summits would be Billinge Hill (G/SP-017) or The Cloud (G/SP-015).

If you had interest and possibility to co-operate with me, please contact to me by email oh2nos(at)sral.fi.

73, Saku OH2NOS

I can’t help with an activation Saku, but given the choice, The Cloud is orders of magnitue better than Billing Hill.

Here are some pictures from Google Maps

Billinge Hill:

The Cloud:

1 Like

Defiantly the Cloud… the biggest antenna you can see from there is Jodrell Bank and it won’t cause you any problems :slight_smile:

1 Like

I too would be defiant about supporting The Cloud - as you might expect! Billinge Hill is a 10 minute walk to disappointment and misery, while The Cloud is a 10 minute walk to feeling uplifted!

1 Like

Hi Saku,

There are lots of pluses and minuses for both summits.

Attached are logs to a couple of 10 minute walks to disappointment and misery, that I experienced, activating Billinge Hill G/SP-017.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

1 Like

You guys are obviously definitely defiant!

Brian

1 Like

Not bad, not bad!

Hi Saku

Another easy double option would be GW/NW-044 Moel Famau and GW/NW-051 Foel Fenlli accessed from the same car park near the town of Mold which is quite close to Chester.

Nick G4OOE

1 Like

Hello Saku,

If your visiting Chester, your closer to the Clwydian range within reason and could get two summits easily activated within an afternoon.

Foel Fenlli GW/NW-051 and Moel Famau GW/NW-044 are both very easily activated. 051 has a good take off to the west.

Jonathan

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the HF radio potential of each summit that’s being compared here Mickey, but the overall merits of a visit/walk there by a foreign visitor with limited time. For sure, your SP-017 logs are mightily impressive, but then again you have equally impressive logs from The Cloud - as have I, on 5 watts QRP at that :wink:

No, for a one-off visit, out of the two, we must suggest The Cloud. But with a good block of 4-6 hours available time, then I too would recommend consideration of the Clywdians pair of NW-051 and NW-044.

However, I think that the crucial point here that we’re all missing, is that Saku needs someone to activate with - who has a car and can collect him - and drop him back off again at his hotel. That’s probably the first piece of the jigsaw to put in place, and then it can be decided which summit to head to.

It would be really cool if you could be the chauffeur Mike - but I would urge caution before choosing to take a visitor from Finland up one of England’s very worst and most disliked SOTA summits!

1 Like

Jonathan and Nick, thank you for the hints. Well, this is my second visit in UK ever so I am a bit stupid and do not know and understand your country’s specialities – I mean G, GW, GM etc. in Finland here is OH only. But I see that it is more options what I could image before.

Basically one summit is it what I am searching – if it is possible to visit in two summits the pleasure is double. One pile up in one summit is more what I have experienced in UK ever!

Walking is not any problem, orienteering is my long time hobby. But Tom has understood my base problem correct manner, the co-operator is missing. It is not dramatical if I do not find it but still I am living in small hope until week end. :grinning:

73, Saku OH2NOS

I would offer to pick you up Saku as Tom suggests, your visit is right in the middle of exams unfortunately.

I am biased but I love those hills. Third picture looks across them from Moel Gyw

Jonathan

1 Like

Saku

This may help you understand our callsign system.
The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland:

G = England
GI = Northern Ireland
GM = Scotland
GW = Wales

There are also the following British Crown dependancies:

GD = Isle of Man
GJ = Jersey (no SOTA summits)
GU = Guernsey (no SOTA summits)

Visitors would use the current designator M, MI, MM etc. For example if you operate in Wales you would use MW/OH2NOS/P for Moel Famau etc.

Unfortunately I am unable to come over to Chester on Monday but I hope that someone will help you.

I have sent you an email with a possible plan.

Nick G4OOE

1 Like

+1 for these two also. From Chester they are actually much quicker to reach than Billinge or The Cloud.

I work in Chester and live in Mold. Sadly on Monday I’ll be in work (assuming I’m back in after 3 weeks of flu :frowning: )

1 Like

Hi Saku

I have sent you another email and I can come over to Chester and pick you up on Monday to activate one or two summits.

Nick G4OOE

2 Likes

Thank you SOTAmates you are excellent guys!

Next Monday afternoon January 25th Team Nick G4OOE/P and Saku MW/OH2NOS/P will be on air from GW/NW-051 and/or GW/NW-044!

Be aware and watch SOTAwatch next Monday! :grinning:

73, Saku OH2NOS

2 Likes

Hi Saku, I thought it was Warrington you were staying at, rather than Chester? Might make a difference on choice of summits.

From Chester, the pair of NW-043 and NW-042 might be an even better bet as they have the fantastic Ponderosa Cafe in between the two.

1 Like

Hi Tom!

You are right I have spoken to you at first about Warrington. Meeting place was changed last week and so Warrington changed to Chester. But when you look to UK from Finland side they seems to be located very close. :grinning:

73, Saku OH2NOS

OK Saku, FB! Helsinki and Stockholm look close to me too :wink:

Yes, from Chester, I’d recommend Moel y Gamelin GW/NW-042 and Cyrn-y-Brain GW/NW-043 as an even better pairing than NW-044 & NW-051. Probably slightly closer as well. And the Ponderosa Cafe!

Hi Tom

The Ponderosa two would be a good option but Saku has limited time available and he prefers to work HF. I don’t think we have time for two multi-band HF activations and a visit to the cafe.

Nick