Battery aboard a plane?

Hi,

I’m planning to travel abroad and carry my FT-817 with me accompaigned with one of my batteries to do some random portable operation.

I own both NiMH (3800 mAh) and LiPo (R/C type 2200 mAh, being this last much more compact, therefore I believe much easier to travel with and be allowed to.

After reading some info on the web I’m not really sure whether I’ll be allowed to carry them aboard or not.

I doubt between putting one of them on the checked baggage or carrying it together with me on the cabin. I rode the baggage experience very low temperatures, thus putting the LiPo on risk of chemical damages.

I believe the authorities allow carrying “normal” batteries for personal uses (cameras, laptop…). Well Laptop do have more capacity anyhow for sure! But maybe if they see the spare battery they’ll keep it with them…

So I prefer to ask you: have you ever experienced any trouble when carrying LiPo or similar stuff on a plane? Any suggestion? Should I contact the air company first?

Thanks for any clue, 73
Ignacio EA2BD

In reply to EA2BD:

carrying LiPo or similar stuff on a plane? Any suggestion? Should I
contact the air company first?

Yes you should check with the air line operator what is allowed.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to EA2BD:

Ignacio you may find an earlier thread which covered this subject helpful.

http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=6287#51718

(Note the first reply made by M0TUB was amended further on in the thread).

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to 2E0XYL:
Ive carried lipo’s, ft817, vx7r all onto aircraft in my carry on luggage. contact the airline first to make sure. The security staff asked what it was for, and let me on my way. I took a copy of my amatuer license just in case as well.

Adrian
MM0TAI