Bargain Handheld GPS "Heads Up"

As some of you are no doubt aware, I’m in the market for a handheld GPS.

Anyway, after spending some time trawling through the Interweb, I stumbled upon this little gem. Seems like an utter steal to me, so therefore, I’ve taken the liberty of posting a link for anyone else who may be interested in a handheld GPS.

This particular model was recommended in the previous GPS thread and it seems to have plenty of bells and whistles!

At a price that must be pretty near unbeatable, IMHO this certainly merits further investigation.

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/garmin-etrex-vista-hcx-i1464.html

HTH
Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Rather good price that Mike. It might be a reboxed return but it has a 12month warranty, Europe basemap plus all the bits and bobs. I’m almost tempted to buy a spare.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Rather good price that Mike. It might be a reboxed return but it has a
12month warranty, Europe basemap plus all the bits and bobs. I’m
almost tempted to buy a spare.

Andy
MM0FMF

Hi Andy

This will almost certainly be brand new in a sealed box. If it was a reboxed/return, they would need to advertise it as such. Most likely explanation, this model is to be superseded. Nevertheless, still a great price for a quality bit of kit.

Cheers
Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
“This Product is a Garmin remanufactured white boxed product. Full 12 Months warranty and in ‘as new’ condition”

Just above the pictures - I have always found these ‘remanufactured’ (repaired) items to be excellent value as you get the warranty and each one has to pass the quality control, whereas the brand new ones are probably just sampled.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
“This Product is a Garmin remanufactured white boxed product.
Full 12 Months warranty and in ‘as new’ condition”

Oops! Apologies to Andy…

Looks like I’m in the market for a new pair of glasses too, Roger :wink:

Regards
Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Having always relied on paper maps & a compass or more usually knowing a Hill anyway this will be my first dabble with GPS.

That is a good price & I’ve ordered one.

If there are any problems I will blame you Mike :wink:

PS Very nice to work you again today from Kinder Scout :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Having always relied on paper maps & a compass or more usually
knowing a Hill anyway this will be my first dabble with GPS.

Well, as you can see from the spec, you get a lot of bang for your buck…

Now you’re begining to sound like John, G1STQ!

And you too, Mark, it was great fun up there indeed. I worked 32 stations on 2m FM and SSB including 8 or 9 summit to summit. John G1STQ my co-activator, worked quite a few stations on 20m also some 2m contacts.

Best Regards

Mike
2E0YYY

This is the GPS I use. I’m very happy with it.

Andrew
K1YMI

In reply to G0VOF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Having always relied on paper maps & a compass or more usually
knowing a Hill anyway this will be my first dabble with GPS.

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Sounds a great buy. I`m not 100% certain, but the pictures of the display look like they are using the garmin topo software which is another £100 or thereabouts. As I said - I may be wrong, but to get that display on my gpsmap 60csx I had to pay extra for the topo mapping (cost less when bought bundled) Even without the topo its a good price for a sensitive receiver.
73 (may be out soon after 4 days in bed with flu)

In reply to G1INK:

Sorry to hear you’ve had Flu Steve :frowning:

As I said in my post it will be my first dabble with GPS, & it will always be in addition to local knowledge or a paper map & compass. But at that price with the listed specification I am willing to risk a spur of the moment purchase.

I do like the look of the Topographic software & will let you know if that is included in the price, or not, when mine arrives. Even without, the receiver has had good reviews from various sources so it should still be money well spent.

I do like the Ordnance survey maps, & for areas I have not visited before I like to have both 1:50000 Landranger & 1:25000 Explorer maps available. Coupled with a reliable compass they work anywhere, without batteries.

I’m not sure what other map formats can be loaded on this particular Garmin model, if indeed any, but as it will be my first(off road)GPS device, & will only be used for secondary navigation, it is a very good price.

More details to follow when mine arrives.

I’m back at work on Tuesday so I may miss your next activation. In my opinion,weather-wise, I think we will have more of the current conditions until Thursday, when I think things will change.

Best 73 & Happy New Year Steve :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
I use the Legend HCx with the base map turned off and topo mapping from
http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm which are free.
Not sure of compatibility with Vista HCx but worth putting on a memory card and trying.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:
Hi Roger, that weblink is broken, on my pc anyway.

EDIT, it should have .php at the end and not htm
http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

Adrian
M0TAI

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike,

I have used this model very successfully for over 12 months and would certainly say it was one of the best purchases I made for SOTA.

Mine was slightly more expensive than the one you posted.

You will need to purchase the Topo maps on Micro SD card separately, but even these have dropped in price.

Good luck

73 Tony

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Very tempting especially if I spend further days crossing featureless moors like Mickle Fell. Will it connect to a Tiny Trak 3 APRS interface? Then it would be perfect.
See comments from G0PEB at Wouxun APRS TT3+ | Ascending Y Llethr NW-017. Wouxun KG-679E… | Flickr

David M0YDH

In reply to M0YDH:

especially if I spend further days crossing featureless
moors like Mickle Fell.

You definitely will be spending many more days on featureless moors. You are hooked and there is no escape.

73 es HNY

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M0YDH:

Hi David, take a look at link below there is a discussion thread relating to TT3 ?

Hope it helps?

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4616

Tony

In reply to M0YDH:

No, the Vista HCx is a USB device. You would need something to act as the USB host and that would have to send serial data to the tracker.

For the cost, just buy an all-in GPS module with antenna from somewhere like Sparkfun and use that. They’re only about £20 or so.

Andy
MM0FMF

The stock is gradually going down - I’ve ordered one too !

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

The stock is gradually going down - I’ve ordered one too !

Rather interestingly Stewart, IIRC, there had been 19 units in stock for a couple of days. After posting the link to the SOTA Reflector yesterday, there are only 9 units left!

I reckon Satnaveasy, owe me some commission :wink:

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Make that 8!

Thanks!

Ian.