Barbed wire?

It is not unusual to find Public Rights of Way on less-walked hills blocked illegally with barbed wire fences. While these are easily climbed over, the risk of laceration is ever-present. A trip to the Poundland shop today gave me an idea. They were selling long cylindrical closed-cell foam swimming pool toys/floats. These are about 1.5m long and 6cm diameter.

I cut off a length about 50cm long and then cut it in half longitudinally (with a bread knife). Using a piece of duct tape I made a hinge by taping the halves together along just one side. The contraption was finished with two “hook and loop” straps to hold it together in the rucksack.

On finding a blocked PRoW, simply remove the straps, open the tube and place it on the top strand of wire with the barbs in the middle. Fasten it on with the hook and loop straps and hey-presto - you can cross with ease! On crossing, take it off again and it’s ready for next time.

Mine weighs 34g.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
The same technique is very useful when having to cross electric fences!
73 de Ken

In reply to G3CWI:

Preformed pipe lagging can be used the same way. It comes with the slit for free!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Ahh well yes and no. I have tried it with pipe lagging but it is generally a little too thin to be safe. The beauty of the stuff that I have used is that it is solid, is thicker and is firmer than pipe lagging. I suppose it depends on the value of what you have to protect…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Further testing at G3CWI Labs shows that it doubles up as a surprisingly good sit-mat when opened.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Ah! Or should that be ow! Well I had only used pipe lagging in a thought experiment, I hadn’t actually tested it in situ yet. I can discount this solution and move straight to your idea. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’m used to being at the sharp end. My ideas are invariably at the cutting edge.

In reply to G3CWI:

It is not unusual to find Public Rights of Way on less-walked hills
blocked illegally with barbed wire fences.

Can anyone advise whether invoking a pair of wire cutters would be legal in this instance?

Entirely hypothetical, of course!?

In reply to M6ADB:

I don’t think that any of the main organisations supporting walkers’ rights suggest direct action as an appropriate first step to unblocking a path. The potential risk of being prosecuted for criminal damage would certainly put me off! I seem to recall that there used to be some sort of legal test about intent as well.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

From Rights of way and accessing land: Overview - GOV.UK

“If you have a problem using a right of way, for example if it is blocked, you should contact the rights of way section of the local authority through which the route passes.”

Deliberate damage will only antagonise GOMLs to be nastier to the next walker.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:
Plus some fence wiring (including barbed) is under tension.

Roger G4OWG

I have been out this evening to test my device and it works really well. The barbs are about 10cm apart (I suspect that they are 4 inches apart) and thus with the gadget attached so that the wire runs through the middle, several barbs are enclosed. They bite into the foam and once the straps are in place, it will not move. Even leaning on it with my full weight did not shift it.

Richard
G3CWI

Thanks guys… as I say, a genuine question, not an incitement to break the law.

Nice idea Richard… I’ll make one myself

Andrew

In reply to M6ADB:

In my never ending quest to understand one or more of the heritages of my Nation, could someone define:

Poundlands Shop

Pipe Lagging

GOMLs

and thanks G3CWI for “(I suspect that they are 4 inches apart)” We here in the Colonies are working hard at going metric … inch by inch.

SOTA is addictive, just a little more and you’ll have me hooked. Pls remember however, not all of us live in the Mother Countries, and our language has “evolved,” Beatles and Mick notwithstanding. Besides, except for some of you in HB, OE, F, and I, we’ve got some of the highest summits in SOTA. OK, couldn’t resist that one, sorry.

Very Best Regards to all,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn, California, USA CM98

In reply to K6DGW:

Hi, Fred, I am often similarly baffled when reading posts on qrz.com!

Poundland is a chain store where every item sold costs one pound (£) sterling - mostly trash but there is some useful stuff there, too! Pipe lagging as a noun is an insulating material sold to prevent heat loss or cold damage to water pipes, as a verb it is the act of insulating a pipe. I’m passing on GOML, its new to me, but by context I guess it means landowner or leaseholder.

Everybody here older than about 60 is happier with feet and inches, the wipper-snappers got brought up with metric! Still, we haven’t stopped buying our beer in pints - and our pints are bigger than yours even if your hills are higher! :wink: When the Himalayan countries join - its just a matter of time - your summits will become second league so enjoy your - eminence - whilst you’ve got it!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to K6DGW:

Poundlands Shop

A chain of shops selling cheap stuff mainly imported from China. Following the principles of F. W. Woolworth, everything is sold for the same price, £1. (approx $1.50). Often you can get fantastic bargains although a lot of the time the quality leaves a lot to be desired. However, you need to keep an eye on the store because they are a useful source of cheap materials to experiment with.

Pipe Lagging

Thermal insulation for pipes. Designed to keep the heat in or the cold out. (How it knows whether to keep things hot or cold I don’t know!) Modern lagging is made from closed cell foam and is cylindrical with a longitudinal slit. It can be slipped over a pipe it situ. Sold in 2m (about 6ft) lengths.
See http://www.pipelagging.com/

GOMLs

Ger orrrrf my laaaaaaand! Or Get Of My Land. A type of landowner who doesn’t appreciate walkers. In Scotland we have a legal right to roam just about anywhere on anyone’s property (there are rules). In England and Wales there is much more restriction. A lot of GOMLs don’t understand their legal requirements and are known to attempt to frighten and harass legitimate access to the countryside. Such as blocking paths. Chasing after walkers whilst holding shotguns. Suggesting that vandalism is rife in the countryside and you wouldn’t want to come back and find your car had been damaged, etc. etc. (Remember guns are virtually never seen in the UK by most people.) Best said with a UK West Country accent (our equivalent to the accent sported by Sheriff J.W. Pepper in Live and Let Die.) An archetypal GOML character called “Farmer Palmer” appeared in UK adult comic Viz where he and his son caused grief to anyone who dared to enter their land.

You’ll get with the language if you spend enough time on here. As for big mountains. Yes, some fairly spectacular ranges of mountains. Complete with rattlesnakes, bears and other things which could really spoil your day! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Complete with rattlesnakes, bears and other things which could really spoil your day! :wink:

The case for carrying weapons in a nutshell :0) Glad we don’t have them here my pack is heavy enough with out a pump action shotgun as well. Now if only solving the midges problem was just as easy.

Steve GM7AAV/P

In reply to GW7AAV:

If there are going to be lots of midges I try to make sure my XYL and daughter are with me as the midges seem to prefer their blood to mine! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I am told, by a former Avon lady (my XYL), that Avon produce (or used to produce - she’s been out of it for several years now) a skin lotion with citronella in which is a very effective insect repellent.

Also Craghoppers sell clothing with built-in (and supposedly permanent) insect repellent characteristics.

Ian
G6ENU

(Who hopes to soon be able to find time around job-hunting and family commitments to actually walk up a few of the pitiful hills in G/SE-land.)

In reply to G6ENU:

"I am told, by a former Avon lady (my XYL), that Avon produce (or used to produce - she’s been out of it for several years now) a skin lotion with citronella in which is a very effective insect repellent. "

The best by far is Avon "Skin so soft"
I have loads of the stuff & they even have it in the front window of the Gun & Tackle shop in Fort William.