Avalanche

Breaking news of avalanche casualties in the Fort William area. Seems you don`t have to go to the Alps to experience this phenonemon,

See BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Three die in Highlands avalanche

Stewart

In reply to G0LGS and Steve:
There’s a webcam at the Kingshouse which is in the area, no more than a couple of miles from Buchaile Etive Mor. http://kingy.viewnetcam.com/CgiStart?page=Single&Language=0
I think the images are current. The clouds are moving pretty fast, some snow on the ground and the remains of a snowman on the grass.
Stuart G0MJG

In reply to G1INK:
Two casualties in hospital in Fort William and one transferred to Glasgow. It is hardly a surprise as the avalanche forecast for the area was “considerable (Category 3).” There has been fresh snow falling every day for the past week above 500m asl.

One of the rescue helicopters had a film crew with them so I presume the incident will appear on a future edition of “Highland Emergency” on Channel 5. For those who haven’t seen this programme, the last series is being repeated on Monday evenings on Fiver.

There have also been other rescue incidents in the area this afternoon. Anyone planning going onto the hill around here in the present conditions needs to think very carefully about where they are going.

Robin, GM7PKT

In reply to GM7PKT:

It’s just reported on the news that three climbers have died in the avalanche.

It appears that the avalanche occured in Coire na Tulaich on Buachille Etive Mor, this is one of the first places I think of when I hear avalanche & Glen Coe in the same sentence-well known to have a high avalanche risk if the conditions are bad.

Iain M3WJZ