Atas 25

Hello,

I owned an ATAS-25 for some years and used a lot portable.
My results with that antenna were so-so, because of it’s compactness and reduced radiator (thus reduced performance).

Anyway, if you have one, it does worth you can use it.
I wrote an article explained it in detail (unfortunatelly in spanish):

To get the best out of it it is important you use the group of radials for the ground plane well extended over the ground.
Then you have to play with the coil extension length to find resonance.
It is also very important to use the number of vertical rods as specified for each band.
I think you can deal with my PDF and figure out the right settings for each band,
If you need further assistance I cpuld translate it if you have major troubles to understand.

As you could see, I designed a card marker so that the distance setting of the coil for each band was straight forward (see the pictures…).

It is a pity Yaesu didn’t provide much guidance on the use of the antenna, although their manual (do you have it?) is self explanatory and correct.

I had no issues and it always worked 1:1 in all bands, although for 40m it is a bit too reduced. I would suggest to use it preferrably in 20m and up, and you will have qso.

When you get the chance, I would suggest to find an alternative to reduce the weight in your rucksack in the future. It is not that heavy, but it requires a tripod mount and perhaps it is a bit bulky for transportation up in a mountain…

Please let me know if I can do more for you.
Vy 73 de Ignacio EA2BD

1 Like

Seeing 3 blobs on the SWR meter of my FT.817 gets me very uncomfortable. That’s why I always have an ATU with me and never proceed with my activation until no bulbs at all are shown on TX.

Best 73,

Guru