Anyone using HRB LiPo batteries ?

I havenā€™t seen HRB before, but just in case you donā€™t know 4S LIPO batteries are over 16 volts when fully charged so you will need some method to reduce down to 13.8v I guess.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Good guess Ed !

Will keep that in mindā€¦

Salut Patrick,
Cette marque en particulier, je ne connais pas, mai moi jā€™utilise un 3S, comme Ƨa pas besoin de rĆ©duire la tension. Cā€™est trĆØs bon bien sur.!

Merci Robert,

3S, donc normalement 11,1 V . A cette tension lĆ , on ne sort pas grand choseā€¦ Du moins, mon QCX !
Quelle tension as-tu le pack bien chargƩ et quelle est la rapiditƩ de dƩcharge ?

73, EP

Bonjour Patrick,
First, many thanks for all TK references you give me at critical distance :wink:
Pour la question de tension pour le QCX peut-ĆŖtre relire sur le reflector SOTA? Qcx qrp rig - #64 by ON7DQ
oĆ¹ ON7DQ parle de la tension et la batterie 4S quā€™il utilise avec son QCX.
Ici jā€™ai 3 QCX 20m, 40m et un 30m en cours de montage que je veux utiliser avec une 4S (boite automatique et peut ĆŖtre un ampli de 10W)
73 Eric F5JKK

Bonjour Patrick,
11,1 volts cā€™est le minima, chargĆ© elle est Ć  12,3 volts normalement. Donc pour le 817 ou le qcx Ƨa doit faire lā€™affaire. Jā€™ai aussi un QCX 10 Mhz Ć  tester, mais lĆ  jā€™attends les jours plus chauds !
cordiales 73

Hi!
I have been using a LIPO Turnigy 4S battery for many years. I charge the battery up to 15.05v and the KX3 still works
Best 73
AndrƩ f5ukl

Bob and AndrƩ,

Thanks for the advices. 12.3 V is rather low, isnā€™t ? I would guess itā€™s closer to what AndrĆ© says 15-16 V, even more !
Putting one or two fat diodes in series that could be shortened would probably help to stay close to 13.8 Vā€¦

Iā€™ve been adviced to look at hobbyking for reliable batteries. I will have a lookā€¦

73, Patrick.

Hi Pat
Another post here Testing 4S Lipo in SOTA EA2/NV-089 Lakarri about the Lipo 4S :wink:
73 Eric F5JKK

See my post in this thread for a picture of what I use as a battery, a charger , and a ā€œvoltage reducerā€ for the KX3. Both my QXCā€™s (40m and 20m models) are happy with 16.8V.

73 Luc, ON7DQ

Thanks,
I ordered a 4S1P from Hobbyking.

Will see how it works and how i will manage the overvoltage. Not a problem with my actual QCX transceiver.

73, Patrick

Hi,

I received my battery pack from HobbyKIng. I bought a Zippy 4200mAh 4S1P.
It turned out to be LiFe cells, so the nominal voltage is 3.3 V / cell and not as i thought LiPo with 3.7V/cell.

That should solve the overvoltage problemā€¦ I donā€™t know the real difference between both cell types though.

They are loading and i hope to test them this week-end.

73, Patrick

Make sure you charge it with a LiFE chargerā€¦ the charge characteristics are very different between LiFE and LiPO.

Yep !

I have the famous imax B6 charger. Thatā€™s how i discovered that my pack is a LiFe, the charger was detecting only 3S while in entered 4S !! :grinning:

Any difference in daily use for us with these LiFe vs LiPo ?

73 EP

I have been using the same but 3 cell battery for about 9 months now. Normally running my KX2 and amp. I can get multiple activations from it. For charging I use an Amazon generic charger labelled ā€œB3 Proā€. No complaints from me on the battery at all.

Malen
VE6VID

Thanks Malen,

Is a 3S not too low in voltage ? With my 4S, i have 13.2 V nominal.
Your 3S should only give around 9.9 Vā€¦

Iā€™ve done my first loading yesterday evening. I noticed a small voltage difference on one cell.

I have 13.5 V and itā€™s actualy feeding my QCX in RX position (about 110 mA).
I will see what happens.

73 Patrick

Patrick.
3 cell runs about 11.1 volts after about 1 hour running time. Never have had it below 11.0 volts.

Malen

OK Malen,

Will see how mine are working.

Iā€™m mostly using banana plugs and i quickly made an adapter for the original 5.5 mm plugs.
I put some heat shrink tubing that overlaps the connectorsā€¦ Just in case iā€™m crossing Murphy on a summit !! :grinning:

73, Patrick TK5EP

1 Like

Hello Patrick,
apart of selecting the right number of Cells (4S as in your battery pack) donā€™t forget to select in your B6 charger that you are using a LiFe batt, not a LiPo type (select this in ā€œUser Setā€ menu).
You probably have done this already. Otherwise the charge program and voltage would be wrongā€¦

As you see LiFe is a reduced voltage when compared with LiPo.

Main differences?
LiFe seems better to reduce the risk of fire
LiFe seems to achieve higher charging cycles (therefore longer life time)

Enjoy your new pack and take care,
73 de Ignacio

Hi Patrick,

Two HRB 5000mAh, 11.1V Lipoā€™s purchased for tests:
Ordered 20-06-19. Delivered lunch time on 22-06-19. Supplied half charge or less.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-HRB-3S-5000mAh-11-1V-50C-100C-Softcase-RC-LiPo-Battery-For-Heli-XT60-VXL/153268591152?hash=item23af851a30:g:~1kAAOSwG0tas1iR

Stocked in the UK, these were advertised at Ā£68.99 (post free) for two but at the end of the process of purchase an unexpected and previously unannounced discount was applied to make the total paid Ā£57.26 for the two inc. postage.

Capacity Tested 23-06-19 using a headlamp bulb drawing 4.8 Amps from 12.6 Volts down to 10.6 Volt cut-off.

Results:
No1: 59 min
No2: 61min.
Satisfactory.

These results are within 5% of results for several 5Ah Turnigyā€™s bought in the past so I deem the test above to be satisfactory. The Turnigyā€™s have not lasted long before swelling and reducing capacity so with my luck and being the eternal pessimist, Iā€™m expecting the same from these. Fingers crossed though. I do store at 12V unless short term and use a balancing charger of course. Also taking care not to run them below 3.6V/Cell

SPEC & Detail:

HRB LiPo Battery 11.1V 5000mAh 50C Max 100C 3S RC For RC Helicopters boats cars Li-Poly Battery

Description:
Battery Type: LiPo Battery
Volts: 11.1v
Capacity: 5000mAh
Cell Count: 3S
Continuous Discharge: 50C (250A)
Max Burst Rate: 100C (500A)
Max Volts per Cell: 4.2V
Max Volts per Pack: 12.6V
Wire Gauge: 10 AWG Soft and Flexible Low Resistance Silicone Wire
Plug Type: Amass XT60

Dimensions: 6.1 x 1.89 x 0.94in/ 155 x 48 x 24 mm (0 - 3mm difference)
Weight: 13.26 oz (376g Ā± 3g)

• Applications: specially designed for traxxas rc cars, slash vxl, slash 4x4 vxl, e-maxx brushless, e-revo brushless and spartan models.

Caution:
Donā€™t over-charge, or over-discharge batteries.
Donā€™t put it beside the high temperature condition.
Donā€™t throw it into fire.
Donā€™t throw it into water.

Useful Knowledge:
The easiest way to determine the remaining capacity of a battery is to measure the voltage (for example 4.2V battery):
4.20V----100%
3.95V----75%
3.85V----50%
3.73V----25%
3.50V----5%
2.75V----0% (Danger!)
Never to let the voltage below 3.6V During use, or your battery will be destroyed.

Package List
2X11.1V 5000mah 50C Lipo battery

Hope this helps you decide,
73, John G4YSS
(GX0OOO/P)
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦
Postscript:
SOTA on G/NP-008 last weekend 06/ 07-07-19.

I used my two new HRB 5Ah Li-Poā€™s paralleled together for VHF-NFD and 100 Watt SOTA use. No complaints. At this early stage, they are every bit as good as other makes (or labels - perhaps theyā€™re all the same anyway) but ask me in a year or two and Iā€™ll tell you if they swelled or not!
John

3 Likes