Any easy summits around Lake Como (Lago di Como) in I2 and HB9?

Hi all, I will be on a short holiday later this week. I will start with the car here in Germany, short stop in Lucerne (CH) visiting some friends and then heading further south towards Lago Maggiore. The hotel is in Lake Como (Lago di Como). The problem is I have the YL with me and she is a bit angry that I carry the radio with me anyway so I am looking for an easy one or two, drive-on would be perfect. I hope you understand, that this time I am looking for an easy approach due to these circumstances. HI HI Any hints would be much appreciated. 73 de John, DK9JC

Hi John

San Salvatore (HB/TI-102) is an easy cable car summit near Lugano (www.montesansalvatore.ch).

In the Lucerne area there are also some cable car summits. If you have some time I recommend to visit Stanserhorn (HB/NW-015). It’s on the way from Lucense to Gotthard. They have a nice cabrio cable car (www.stanserhorn.ch) and a fine view on the top.

73, Tom HB9DPR

Hi John!
Not far from Como city, You can will activate Bolletto I/LO-308 is very easy, about 40min hike from Brunate
Bollettone I/LO-333, Palanzone I/LO-320, San Primo I/LO-304 are a little bit too long, about 1h30 hike.
Summits near Lecco city are more long and hard.
Have fun!

Very good Tom. Thank you for the post. I will take this one this thursday. Only one point, but what a sight. Even the photos online are very impressive. HB/TI-102, San Salvatore - 912m, 1 Point

[quote=“HB9DPR, post:2, topic:13241, full:true”]
If you have some time I recommend to visit Stanserhorn (HB/NW-015). [/quote]

Good idea. I lived in Lucerne some years ago and never made it to the Stanserhorn. Will try to stop this thursday or on saturday. HB/NW-015, Stanserhorn - 1898m, 6 Points

RR. Will take this one on friday. 40 min is OK I think. Thank you for the info. I/LO-308, Monte Boletto - 1236m, 4 Points

That was what I thought. I will not activate them this time. Maybe I will be in the area again alone. :slight_smile:

@ IW2OBX
My hotel is in Malgrate on the other side of Lecco.
I/LO-323, Grignetta - 2177m, 8 Points would be nice, but I guess this one is not so easy… :slight_smile:

Hi john,
I live in Lecco!
If you start from Malgrate it’s too easy to reach “Alpe del Vicerè” (where you will find a large parking) and hike to Bollettone, rather that go a few km further by the car on narrow, twisting street for to reach the little Parking of “Capanna CAO” for hike to Boletto.
Both paths are easy, Bollettone is a little bit long, not by much. It’s worth it!!

About Grignetta If you are trained it’s not that difficult, it’s steep climb up but not vertical. Remenber for the next time… if you will even want I’ll be your guide.

73 Roberto

[quote=“IW2OBX, post:6, topic:13241, full:true”]
I live in Lecco! [/quote]

Wow, lucky you. We will be in the city on friday. Checking out the mall. :slight_smile:

If you start from Malgrate it’s too easy to reach
“Alpe del Vicerè” (where you will find a large parking) and hike to Bollettone [/quote]

Roger, we will do this on Saturday on our way back to DL.

rather that go a few km further by the car on narrow, twisting street for to reach the little Parking of “Capanna CAO” for hike to Boletto.[/quote]

After I/LO-333, Monte Bolettone we will go to I/LO-308, Monte Boletto this saturday.

Both paths are easy, Bollettone is a little bit long, not by much. It’s worth it!![/quote]

I hope so. :slight_smile:

Would you go from I/LO-333, Monte Bolettone to I/LO-308, Monte Boletto by car via the northern route? Not sure about the road conditions over there. I have a brand new car and it’s not a Jeep. HI HI, so I might take the southern route via Albavilla, Tavernerio, Ponzate, Brunate.

About Grignetta If you are trained it’s not that difficult, it’s steep climb up but not vertical. Remenber for the next time… if you will even want I’ll be your guide.[/quote]

Thank you. I will try to come back alone. I saw the photo on your QRZ.com Page. Very nice.

My plan so far:

Updated SOTA schedule for the next days:

HB/NW-015, Stanserhorn - 1898m, 6 Points – tomorrow, thursday early afternoon
HB/TI-102, San Salvatore - 912m, 1 Point – tomorrow, thursday late afternoon
I/LO-333, Monte Bolettone - 1317m, 4 Points - saturday around noon.
I/LO-308, Monte Boletto - 1236m, 4 Points – saturday early afternoon.

The hotel is at Lago di Como, so might be QRV /P from there and also
Lago Maggiore. Will do 20m (14.285 MHz) & 2m and maybe 40m if I
have enough space. - CU on the bands and 73 de DK9JC/P

Great planning John!
You can’t go to Boletto from Bollettone by car, not even by 4x4, becouse the road is close to traffic…it’s traced on google maps but is a mule track! The only way to approach by car is passing from Brunate and parking near Capanna cao, where the path starts,the street’s name is “via alle baite”.
If you want, you can reach Boletto from Bollettone following the path in west direction, but the roundtrip will take some hours.

On both summits You’ll find much space for the antenna.

Have a great holiday and good SOTA!!
73 Roberto

Thank you Roberto. I am now back in Germany and the trip was very nice. We did I/LO-333, Monte Bolettone - 1317m on Friday.

The hike to the top was very hard for the YL so the first one in Italy was our last one. The day before we activated HB/NW-015, Stanserhorn - 1898m. We had problems to find the path to the top of Bolettone and had to ask on the refugio first.

Do you think that Boletto would be an easier one? Roberto, thank you for your help. I will come back one day for Boletto and of course Grignetta.

73 and take care, John, DK9JC

Hi John,
I’m happy for You and your activation,
Saturday, I’d monitored 20, 40 and 2 meter , to hoping to contact You, but nothing.
I assure You that Boletto is easier than the other summits in I/LO, but less spectacular.
Grignetta won’t run away!

Until next time!
73!