Anquet or Memory Map?

Andy reminded me of something in another thread as I’m just trying to rationalise my paper OS maps.

Anquet or Memory Map? Which is your preference and why?

This could be interesting. Seconds out…

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Anquet

1. It is free
  2. You pay for just the maps you need
  3. The user interface is better

Just my opinion - can’t claim to be an expert on either

Rick.

In reply to M0RCP:

Only tried Anquet. I got all UK 1:50000 plus OS Road Atlas for £117. The programme comes with 2 licenses, one for Windows XP/Vista and one for WinCE. This means you can run 2 copies, one on the PC at home and one on a PDA/phone. Limit is how much flash memory you have for the maps on WinCE. All my data is about 3GB. Not a big requirement anymore.

I haven’t updated my binary for a while but my copy has limited data import/export features, only Anquet data files. But there are freeware apps to convert between Anquet and all the other formats. It would be nice to support them directly but it doesn’t.

It just works with my GPS. I had to install a driver for the Garmin Vista HCx and then Anquet found it and happily uploads data from the GPS and downloads routes, waypoints etc. Just plug in and it all worked with no grief. I print maps to CutePDF at 1:25000 size and save the PDF on a memory stick. I can then print them at work on a colour laser printer. This way they come out twice the size of an OS map and I don’t need glasses to read them. I haven’t checked but I think colour laser output doesn’t run in the rain like an inkjet can.

I’m sure MemoryMap is just as good. Different but the same!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks Andy and Rick.

I’m taking a closer look at Anquet as I also just realised they do Harveys maps too (of which I am a great fan).

BTW There are some ink jet printers that have ink that is completely waterproof without special treatment. The paper will fall apart before the ink comes off. Email me offline if you want to know which range.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to M0RCP:

In reply to G0AZS:

Anquet

1. It is free
  2. You pay for just the maps you need

Half of Great Britain - 1:25k scale £1,661.40 - 1:50k scale £74.50 - Aerial 1m/pixel £469.00

Memory Map is cheaper in the long run. Usually someone flogging them cheaper than list on eBay.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

That’s for 2 copies though Steve.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I got MM for well below the list price and it runs on all our PCs and laptops without a problem and no issues with updating either. I have never played with Anquet but the prices of the maps seem steep. I am also wary of software that restricts you to which machine you can load it on. I have been bitten there before with some road mapping software. When my hard drive went down I could not install it on a new machine without paying again; and they wonder why people crack the protection!

For most UK SOTA activations the National Parks maps (one DVD) are all you will need. They will certainly keep you busy a while. Having said that I ended up buying the whole UK after getting the Parks one.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

When I brought memory map, it wasn’t my first choice, but was more available that other products on eBay. I brought the whole UK at a reasonable price, and now would not like to be without it. Other products might have slightly slicker features but MM does all I want, and I use it daily.

Two features that I find particularly useful are searching on place names, any names that are on the map; and secondly printing A4 sheet maps. These are just so much easier to carry than a conventional map (which now safely stays in the rucksack as backup).

I would recommend computer mapping to anyone who is hesitant.

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to GW7AAV:
One other aspect of Memory Map is that there is an active group who are capable of scanning available maps on paper or capturing digital versions and converting them to MM format. Even though MM itself has not as far as I know published some countries, I have seen MM maps covering Germany, Austria, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Austria, Balearics, Canaries and several others. The quality of these varies a lot but net the MM format seems to be more flexible to allow people to do their own thing. In addition to the search capabilities that go with the MM mmi files there is a capability for people to generate text files providing detailed location data with much more informetion, that can be imported into MM to find obscure places on MM maps.
just my experience
jim