Another G SOTA Addition and Deletion

Who of my age in Great Britain hasn’t heard of Aberfan? I remember the very day it happened. Thankfully Hensbarrow is not in the same category… had it been, there would never have been OA land within a couple of hundred metres of what is now the highest point and access to and indeed Hensbarrow Beacon itself might have been out of bounds. The principles behind your comments are fine, just don’t get this out of proportion.

Me, too, Gerald, my father came from Bargoed, not far from Aberfan, his father and brothers were miners, I grew up having that area as a holiday destination so you can imagine the impact. Several years later I was helping with a program to find ways of using colliery waste from the area as a building material - it was remarkably corrosive due to oxidising sulphides. Later I did some work on material from china clay tips, it was much more amenable being mostly silica with some micas and tourmaline. It could be used with snowcrete to make fine white concrete, but if all the tip was like the samples that I worked on then it was little more than a ruddy great pile of sand. After this long a time I cannot remember which tip it was, but I suspect they would all be similar. Frankly I would not set foot on any unstabilised tip unless I had a reassuring geotechnical survey report in my hand!

This is the the thread relating to your post Rod.

Jimmy M0HGY

The RHB advises the OS of its survey results, and the OS accepts this information, using it in subsequent updates of its mapping. The RHB crowd is not a bunch of pirates making stuff up for its own amusement, it is a highly respected group of experts that is part of the process for updating our national mapping.

I think it is rather bad form to disrespect them just because one or two of their latest findings may cause a little inconvenience.

What baffles me is why people are getting uppity about what is a marvellous excuse for a little holiday to Cornwall, and another to Cumbria! Come on guys, this is a WIN - WIN situation :smiley:

Thanks Jimmy.
Rod

I agree, I love Cornwall and will be there the last week in April, Hensbarrow is on the itinary, I can’t imagine why I haven’t done it before! Now, of course, I have all the excuse I need for another visit to get the new summit! And another trip to one of the meaderies…

Well if the RHB are so well respected at the OS, why is this not reflected in Glyn’s report? My comments are not meant to be disrespectful. I just don’t think that the situation is clear as it should be… but then purely as end users of the RHB information, I suppose there is a reticence to question.

It’s perfectly clear. While the tip above Hensbarrow Beacon was being worked, it was not classified as natural terrain. Now the work has stopped, and Hensbarrow Down is considered to be part of the topography. That’s clear enough to me.

In fact it’s even clearer than that. G SOTA, like the OS, uses surveying results from RHB/DoBH to keep up to date. In the latest update, Hensbarrow Beacon is no longer a Marilyn summit, and has been superceded by Hensbarrow Down. How much clearer does it need to be?

While that may be true in general life, section 2.1 of the G ARM makes it pretty clear that the SOTA summit definitive guide for Britain is RHB. That decision was made by our Dear Leader G3WGV back in 2003, so it’s about as close to Moses-on-Sinai as SOTA gets :smile:

Well it is perfectly clear to me Tom. The assistant has released information before the boss has ratified it. By choice SOTA follows the assistant… if you are happy with that then so be it. I just find it strange that in this instance the boss does not appear to know what the assistant is doing.

Well I’m sure the AM will be happy to bow to your superior knowledge of what the “boss” (ridiculous term!) knows. I am equally sure that the good people at RHB will be suitably chastened by your authoritative criticism.

Now let it be.