An airy shack

The heat-wave here in the southern part of Germany and Austria still continuous. The weather forecast for last Friday predicted again temperatures above 30°C. Enough motivation for me to look for some cooler places.

This time my destination was once more in the neighbouring Tyrolian mountains. The summit “Wilder Freiger” (SOTA reference OE/TI-019) with its height of 3418m ASL and being circumvented by glaciers looked therefore very promising.

I started my tour early in the morning, still before sunrise, at the car park in the Stubai valley. After hiking abt. 800m elevation gain, I reached the nicely placed Nürnberger Hut. The hut was still in the shadow and only the summit Urfallspitze behind being lit by the first sun rays. Therefore I decided to make a short break and enjoyed a glass of apple juice, pressed out of apples of the huts own apple plantation. It tastes really delicious.

During my next hiking hour I saw some beautiful flowers beside the trail, even at heights above 2800 meters ASL.

The next high light, near to the hiking trail, was a (nearly) infinity-pool, filled with refreshing cool water and surrounded by a terrific view to the surrounding mountains.

Because I still had a lot of height meters to climb up, I didn’t take a bath in the pool but headed to the summit of Wilder Freiger:

Obviously a lot of ice and snow on this height. Nevertheless the temperature was still very high and it was really a rather sweaty effort up to the summit.

The last meters to the summit was a nice walk along a snow covered ridge and a short scramble up to the summit cross:

Luckily at the summit there was nearly no wind and, most important, during my activation period only three other mountaineers reached the summit. This was indeed a very important fact, because the activation zone was rather restricted and I had to sat down on a rather airy rock. When setting up my equipment, I was concentrated - under no circumstances - to drop anything.

On the other side this exposed seat offered me some exceptional nice views to the surroundings. Here you can see a mountaineering team of two people hiking up the glacier (the two black spots in the center of the image).

And of course the panorama wasn’t bad at all :slight_smile:

The proverbial icing on the cake (in addition to the glacier up to the summit :slight_smile: ) was the following SOTA activation on the 30m and 20m bands. A total of more than 30 contacts could be logged, with a majority on the 30m band.
In addition, two summit-to-summits with Christian, F6FTB, on F/MC-130 and Åge, LA1ENA, on LA/TM-260 completed the SOTA activity.

After my activation the summit soon got very crowded by other mountaineers, therefore I soon left this nice peak and headed down to the car park.

Thanks again to all chasers for calling me, thanks for spotting me on SOTAwatch and also many thanks for the S2S contacts.

73 Stephan, DM1LE

PS:
@ Åge, if you read this report, I hope I’ve spelled your name correctly. I must apologize that I still don’t know the morse code for the letter “Å” :wink:

16 Likes

Åge uses Aage in cw, I think few uses æ,ø, å in cw. I had to look it up myself, its .-.- for å and æ, and —. For Ø.

Looks like you had a great activation, is there more snow than normal?
I had two days in Trollheimen, and there is lots of snow in the moutains. I had to cancel two activations, beccause i had to cross an area with lots of freezed up small lakes, and streams. In July, snowbridges isnt the safest place to be…

Hi Stephan!
Very thanks for the s2s contact. Excellent report, and looks like a though summit to reach.
My summit Vestlifjell (LA/TM-260) was about 1 hour + walk/climb. No trails the last bit, so a bit of bushwack before I reached the summit. Have lost my mobilphone, so no pictures from this.

The letters in cw is:
Å: .–.-
Æ: .-.-
Ø: —.
I am using these sometimes in qso’s with scandinavian statiions.

Best 73 and hope to see you again soon.
Aage, (Åge .–.- --. .)

Erik( LA5XTA), very nice signal from you during the activation of LA/ST-044, steady 599 here on my K2. Was about to make a recording when I discovered I had lost my phone.
cuagn soon.

Still going wow over each photo :open_mouth:

Such amazing scenery that adds to this amazing Hobby we have. Yet the thing that gets me it hot and still snow lying around and quite a bit by looks of things.

thanks again for sharing

karl

1 Like

Hmm… Looks like the Norwgian wiki-page was both right and wrong, in the text it claimed that Æ and Å used .-.- , but the overview showed .–.- for Å…
Then i learned somthing new today :smile:

Åge, the summit was just wide enough for the 40m dipole, when hanging it east-west ish.
I will try to activate more on 40m, then it will be after 30 and/or 20m. Not to many chasers on the 40m, but its fun with a few LA, SM and OH’s

Hi Erik,

Looks like you had a great activation, is there more snow than normal?
I had two days in Trollheimen, and there is lots of snow in the moutains. I had to cancel two activations, beccause i had to cross an area with lots of freezed up small lakes, and streams. In July, snowbridges isnt the safest place to be…

at this time of the year the amount of snow at this height is normal. Later in August more and more snow will vanish and hard ice will appear on the glaciers. But then you even can expect new snow falls.
You are absolutely right, at those high temperatures snow bridges pose a high risk. The same is true on glaciers with many crevasses.

73 Stephan, DM1LE

Hi Åge,

thanks for clarification, hopefully I can remember the correct morse code until we have our next contact :wink:

Interestingly, here in Bavaria we also use this vowel “å” quite often, but only for pronunciation of the written letter “a”. Depending on the regional differing dialect, about one third of the written “a” is being pronounced as “å”.

73 Stephan, DM1LE

super activation. Quite jealous of you in fact.
the photo of the two people crossing the glacier seems to show a decent semi exposed crevasse a few 100m below them.