Amateur Radio Insurance

Anyway … whilst digging through my licence records to sort out the 5 MHz NoV update, I noticed that my Amateur Radio Insurance policy had expired on 1st December 2012. Bluefin no longer offer Amateur Radio Insurance, so did not send me a reminder that the policy had expired.

Now I shall have to ask for quotes from the other two companies who do offer policies, i.e. South West Broking and Quotedesk. I think this is quite important for anyone who takes equipment out /P on a frequent basis … and there is also the matter of Third Party Liability insurance to be considered.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

With regards to the third party liability insurance - I’m doing the responsible thing and not bothering :wink:

Rob G7LAS

In reply to G3NYY:
Did you find the quotes competative and reasonable?

In reply to G1STQ:

I don’t know yet. I’ll let you know when I receive them

73 de G3NYY

In reply to G7LAS:

With regards to the third party liability insurance - I’m doing the
responsible thing and not bothering :wink:

That’s up to you, Rob … but it’s not entirely out of the question that your SOTA-beam could blow down in a gust of wind and have some innocent hill-walker’s eye out!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G1STQ:

The quotation from Quotedesk (almost £200 per annum) is exactly twice the annual premium I had been paying to Bluefin. The biggest difference is in the premium for Public Liability; Bluefin had been charging me £6 a year. Quotedesk are asking for £50 a year for the same amount of cover. The premium for theft from a vehicle costs £65 to cover £1600 of equipment.

The proposal form for South West Broking is so long and complex that I have not yet filled it in. They need a fully itemised list of all equipment, as well as a detailed description of all the locks on the doors and windows of my house, details of any security devices in situ, and numerous other questions to be answered.

Hmmmmm!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to G7LAS:

That’s up to you, Rob … but it’s not entirely out of the question
that your SOTA-beam could blow down in a gust of wind and have some
innocent hill-walker’s eye out!

I wonder if the insurer would cover such an accident caused by an unspecified antenna, erected in an exposed location by an Amateur? I’d guess that the small print would be pretty restrictive - but it is a concern, and I’d be interested if any of you here have experience good or bad, or are familiar with said small print?

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to G4AZS:

Daylight robbery in my opinion. Thousands of activations by amateurs on here every year, so who has needed to claim on one of these policies?

Happy to be corrected regarding their value!

Rob

That’s up to you, Rob … but it’s not entirely out of the question
that your SOTA-beam could blow down in a gust of wind and have some
innocent hill-walker’s eye out!

Walt (G3NYY)

Yes, entirely out of the question as I don’t own one! ;)))

All the best,

Rob

As Treasurer for Gloucestershire Repeater Group (GRG), I got quotes from both Quotedesk and South West broking a few months ago. Yes the South West broking web based form did ask for a lot of details, but that did give me a feeling that they really know what they are doing.

GRG went with South West Broking - after Quotedesk withdrew when I raised a query regarding their policy that excluded ‘hot works’ as it specifically mentioned soldering as one such example - not being covered when soldering whilst on-site would have made the policy worthless - how else can you fit connectors and make on-site repairs ?

My own policy is not due for another 3 months or so (I had just renewed when Bluefin announced they were pulling out) - I will be asking both for a quote nearer the time.

I have had insurance for all my equipment and 3rd party liability cover for most of (if not all) the time I have been licensed, whilst I hope I never have to claim for any incident I would not now want to go without it. At least I know that if something should go wrong and a falling antenna cause damage to some other person or their property it should be resolved as best it can be.

I did once claim for repairs to one item of my radio equipment when it was being used for a radio clubs event and got dropped, but I have not had to claim on my own policy.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G3NYY:

You might be (pleasantly) surprised just how much is, or can be, covered by your domestic insurance. With very little effort on my part my radio equipment is covered at home, in a car and when on a hill, I am covered for my antennas falling down and I have £20M public liability insurance.

Total extra cost £0, extra effort about 10 minutes. YMMV but worth looking into especially as Walt is a member of the “chosen” race!!!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to G0LGS:

GRG went with South West Broking - after Quotedesk withdrew when I
raised a query regarding their policy that excluded ‘hot works’ as it
specifically mentioned soldering as one such example - not being
covered when soldering whilst on-site would have made the policy
worthless - how else can you fit connectors and make on-site repairs ?

I remember arguing that when I was self employed and working from home many years ago. It turned out that “soldering” to the insurance company meant blow torches, fire etc. Picture Dantes inferno! Once I had explained about electric soldering irons and circuit boards, they were fine ;o)

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to GM4TOE:

Thanks to all for the comments and tips. I shall pursue all available options. A lot of the issues are, indeed, covered by my domestic insurance policy.

I had a lengthy chat on the phone with Quotedesk this morning. They were somewhat vague about certain aspects of the cover. I am not terribly impressed.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to GM4TOE:

Barry,

Regarding getting cover included in you home/contents insurance

Does the cover offered include new for old replacement ?
Does it cover leaving the equipment unattended in a vehicle ?
Does it include loaning the equipment to someone else or when used by someone else other than a person from the same household ?
Do any excess’s apply ?
Did you have to provide details of all your equipment including replacement values ?

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

Briefly:

Yes, as with all my other possessions (but see valuable antique clause)
Yes, but had to be negotiated (but I do have commercial insurance which covers this)
No, I would assume that they accept responsiblity if loaned, if in use with me present, Yes
Yes, same as houshold £100
No/Yes, I had to give a total(replacement)value of the equipment. There are implied exclusions because we do not have insurance for valuable antiques, except where specified, so my wife cannot get me replaced!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to G3NYY:

I too am not particularly impressed by Quotedesk, Walt. I don’t really want my kit insured, even when I am out on the hills. Okay I might fall over and damage it, but $*%! happens in life and we need to take responsibility for our actions. All I really need is what you referred to, third party liability insurance to cover Joe Public tripping over my guy lines and bringing the 2m beam down on their head. Suffice to say that when I spoke to Quotedesk, they weren’t that interested in covering me just for that aspect.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Indeed.

I eventually filled in the extremely long proposal form for South West Broking and I am awaiting a reply. I included an item at the end: “Miscellaneous items, each valued at under £200 … total £1400”. I hope they will accept this; I do not want to start itemising every last Morse key, microphone, power pack, soldering iron, length of coax, etc!!!

Incidentally, I notice there is an excess of £125 applicable to any theft, loss or damage claims relating to antennas, so it seems hardly worth insuring antennas at all.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I obtained a quote online from Quotedesk. They were certainly persistent in following it up (that’ll teach me to give 'em a phone number) but in the end I told them just to go away because I didn’t see why I should spend my time flogging through the impenetrable documentation with them to find out if the insurance did actually indemnify me against anything. It seemed that things covered in one section were excluded in others, and the public liability part was so bizarre for it’s purpose that I queried whether I had been sent the wrong documentation. The whole policy seemed to be a collection of standard sometimes contradictory clauses cobbled together with little understanding of the nature of the insurance required. But that’s just my opinion…

73 de Paul G4MD

Having to pay just £125 to replace an array of various VHF antennas, poles, Heliax feeder, connectors, rotators etc would be a bargain (I could hardly replace a single antenna for that money).

Similarly I would rather pay a relatively small sum out each year on insurance for what amounts to a substantial collection of equipment than have to replace them at my own expense should something happen to any of it.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G4MD:

I obtained a quote online from Quotedesk. They were certainly
persistent in following it up (that’ll teach me to give 'em a phone
number) but in the end I told them just to go away because I didn’t
see why I should spend my time flogging through the impenetrable
documentation with them to find out if the insurance did actually
indemnify me against anything.

Ha! It seems you had exactly the experience as I did! Did you get a phone call from someone called “James”?

:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)