Alerts for mult-summit activations

I have noticed that whilst some activators post alerts giving some idea of timings for multi-summit activations, others just post the time of the first activation.

Whilst I can understand that the timing depends on a number of factors, it would help at least some of us chasers to have some idea of what time we should be listening for the subsequent activations.

Stewart.

In reply to G0LGS:

I have some sympathy with your thoughts Stewart - that’s why I try to post alerts for each summit, so you can get on with your DIY between summits!

Normally I would expect 2.5 to 3.5 hours between activations for typical G summits - a wide window I know, but that’s how it has worked out for me with activations planned for 1 hr on each summit. There are many factors that can create a delay and then the schedule can slip, indeed I have noted that several activations have been cancelled recently due to lack of time. Many ops won’t schedule their time because they prefer a loose arrangement.

It’s just something chasers will have to live with.

73, Gerald

In reply to G0LGS:

Whilst I can understand that the timing depends on a number of
factors, it would help at least some of us chasers to have some idea
of what time we should be listening for the subsequent activations.

Stewart.

You’re right it can be very hard to get the time right. I always try to give times for all the summits I intend to do. Likewise, if I find that I have to cancel anything I like to get that info out as soon as I can. Sometimes I can get a cancellation notice up myself, other times I’ve asked chasers to post an announcement for me.

There’s nothing worse than having lugged all the gear up a hill only to find nobody listening! It’s only happened once on HF to me and for a while I was worried the 817 was broken until the chasers emerged. Partly it was because I’d got the time wrong (BST/GMT) and I think there was a good F1 race on the telly. So I strive to hit the published time.

But I do go to great lengths to try to get the time right. Simply because as you say, if I publish a time, I know some people will make an effort to be listening around then. The whole activation planning consists of using Autoroute for journey times plus local knowledge, then tweaked Naismaith’s rules on Anquet for the walking time plus reviewing other peoples write ups on their routes. It can take some effort to come up with the times and I really hate it when I’m wildly inaccurate especially on the first summit of a multi-activation. Of course the successive summits do tend to drift due to tiredness and the time spent on previous summits.

I do like Clive G1YAM’s method of just turning up without notice. He must be doing something right, look at his score. I found that expecting to activate on 2m FM up here in GM without warning to be almost impossible. But for me, I’ll stick with a published time and trying to meet it.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0LGS:

Id hate to tell a pile up that I have to pack up as Im due on the next summit. You just never know how long each activation will take - unless you`re a 4 & run activator.

In reply to G0LGS:
I like to chase dxcc on HF cw. It would be nice if the guys on 5L at the moment could post a time for me to contact them. It would save me all this effort I have to put in to make the contact… You are joking I assume.

Mike

In reply to G0LGS:

The obvious answer here is to use Webmon Stewart. you can turn the volume up and get on with other things while webmon watches the spots and alerts you to any new spots.

I sympathise with the activator, because there are factors which can change their plans, A. they can’t just switch off in a pile up, B. WX can drastically change ascent/descent/travel times. There are other factors also.

At the end of the day, we have to revert to Golden Rule No. 1, The activator is king, end of, and can please him/her self.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G1INK:

You just never know how long each activation will take - unless you`re a 4 & run activator.

Even then, this is not so Steve. If I look at the activations I have done with just 4 contacts, the variance in the times I have remained on summit is considerable. Struggling to get to 4 contacts can take an age (IIRC, about 3.5 hours was the worst!) - whereas if you’re not struggling, you tend to make more than 4!