Activition Report: Ben Loyal

A brief report on a brief activation:

In reply to MM0HAI:
Well done Alistair. It’s a lovely mountain. Been up twice from 2 different directions. 1st time to see the Hampden Wreck site but not a lot left. It looks windy so you were probably right not to burden your Dad with an lengthy stay.

I sat down on a ledge below the lip overlooking Loch Loyal when I was there. Pity about the mist; the views are terrific. Suggest you try Ben Hope next.

73, John G4YSS.

In reply to G4YSS:

I’ve still got Ben Loyal on my NS list. 2 contacts on 2m is more than I thought you’d get! Ben Hope is great. Not difficult from the SE and onto the ridge. I had magnificent views when I was there: from Cape Wrath to Orkeny. Ben Loyal looked stunning too from the Ben Hope trig point.

I hope to be up in that area before the end of March, possibly next weekend but it depends on the WX and B&B/hotel availability. The nearer you get to Ullapool the more they want to charge single room supplements. If you go up to the top of the world onto the Northern coast then the hoteliers welcome you with open arms (and no supplements)!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0HAI:

That’s a fine mountain! I think you would enjoy Foinaven and Arcuil, too.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:
I stayed in an hotel on this occasion. It’s less convenient than a bivvy bag or tent and involves more driving but the food was better. I did see some venison walking around on Ben Loyal but suspect the laird might have something to say if I shot it.

They also have internet - I’ve yet to sort that out for camping. I am thinking IP over HF or satellite.