"Activator" pole

Hi All,

A while back someone posted some information about a cheap ‘roach pole’, from Aldi… well I’ve got one. It’s the “Activator” 8m “Take Apart Vitrofibre Carp Margin” @ £19.99.

I was wondering if this was the same one mentioned earlier (can’t find the post). Also I’m a bit confused by the expression Take Apart. I assumed it would have some sort of ferrule, so it could be broken down into sections whereas in actual fact it’s telescopic.

There’s no problem with it. I can remove the top section through the butt, and the remaining sections look rigid enough to hold up an 80m wire dipole - which is what I want it for.

Just curious to find out if this is 'as advertised; a while back!

73s

Rob (G1TPO)

In reply to G1TPO:

Ron describes his as non-telescopic

http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=2221#

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks Andy…I’ve actually had another look, and it IS push together…just a very tight fit!!

So it must be the same.

Thanks again

Rob G1TPO

In reply to G1TPO:
HI ROB, YES THATS THE ONE, YOU TAKE THE SECTIONS OUT FROM THE BOTTOM AND PUT THEM IN THE TOP, SO IT WONT COLAPSE, THE OTHERS ALDI DO, A 4M AND A 6M TOGETHER ARE OF THE TELESCOPING TYPE, ALL OF THE 8M ONES WERE SOLD IN 4 DAYS OVER HERE, SO IF YOU NEED MORE THEN GET THEM QUICK
RICHARD

In reply to G1TPO:
BE CAREFUL HOW YOU USE THIS POLE FROM ALDI.
I HAD ONE BUT TOOK IT BACK BECAUSE AS IT WAS SHOWING SIGNS OF THE OUTER TUBE SPLITTING AT ONE OF THE JOINTS. PERHAPS IT WAS JUST A FAULTY ONE BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER IF THE TUBE WAS RE-ENFORCED AT THE JOINTS. GUESS IT WILL BE OKAY IF THE POLE IS ALWAYS KEPT VERTICAL.
ANYWAY GOOD LUCK WITH IT.
IT MAKES A GOOD 40M VERTICAL WITH JUST A SMALL LOADING COIL AT THE BASE.
David, G3RDQ

In reply to G3RDQ:
Thanks for all the info…Yes David, I thought the joints didn’t look very strong…that’s why I was a bit reluctant to force them together. I may put a bit of “whip finish” on them…

I’ve thought about experimenting with using it as a vertical…but initially it’ll just be used to hold up inverted V dipoles…I’ve got a couple of elements cut for 5.4 and 3.666 MHz

If anyone is interested, they still had quite a few left in Aldi, at Cramlington, South Northumberland. Didn’t notice the shorter poles though.

I’m away in the Scottish Borders next week, so may do some on air testing (and possibly some “SS” activations, but they’ll be VHF for now)

Thanks again for the comments, 73s

Rob(G1TPO)