Activation Today G/NP-005 by 2E0EDX

Text message received Ian is unable to activate this hill today. Sorry to any chasers hoping to work him.

73’s

Brian 2E0OYG

In reply to M3OYG:

Thanks Brian for posting the cancellation of Ingleborough. On ascending Great Knoutberry Hill I was nearly blown over countless times by the strong gusts of wind on the ascent, having to hold onto the fence which guides you to the summit on a number of occassions and it was no better on the summit even getting low behind the small wall. Therefore,decided to call it a day once I had qualified NP-015 with 14 contacts.

Thanks to all callsigns who called in.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:

An extremely wise decision Ian and a good call putting it on the reflector. Better to be safe than sorry.

14 contacts is a decent bag - certainly not a smash and grab! Well done under difficult conditions.

73, Gerald
still getting the wind noise out of his ears from yesterday!

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

Certainly the right decision was made in my opinion and even though Great Knoutberry Hill is a relatively easy 4 pointer,it is totally exposed and the wind took it out of me on the ascent, two steps forward then two to the left or right all the way up. It was’nt a comfortable activation and therefore I could’nt see the point of activating Ingleborough in those conditions.Incidentally, I drove passed Ingleborough on the way home and it looked bleak to say the least with snow on top. To be left for another day.

I can fully understand the wind noise still ringing in your ear after activating Pen Y Fan yesterday, I think the ringing has just stopped, I can hear myself type… Hi!

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

I was planning to ‘play out’ in the hills today, but I was scared off by the forecast!

Had a family outing to York instead, but at least I discovered a Black’s shop so had a browse in there, as well as my usual trip to Nevis sport. I managed to even come out of both shops without spending a penny!

I admire people who know when to make the correct call for the weather conditions. Hopefully this snow that has just started at my QTH will not amount to much!

73 and keep safe

Colin M0CGH

In reply to M3EDX:

I can fully understand the wind noise still ringing in your ear after
activating Pen Y Fan yesterday…

Hi Ian,

It was actually Moel Siabod and Tal Y Fan I was on yesterday and it was blowing hard on both summits - I guess if I’d have jumped up in the air I might have made it to Pen Y Fan, Hi! Fortunately the ascent on Siabod was partly protected and I didn’t feel like Scott of the Antarctic until I made the ridge. The wind blew Paul G4MD and myself up Tal Y Fan later in the day - a bit of help for tired legs - not so good on the descent.

Hopefully catch you when you do Ingleborough.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

Apologies for wrong summit mentioned. Working this weekend but hopefully will activate Ingleborough and possibly two in NW later this month. Further hoping that the 4m handheld arrives next week and that I can try it out on my next activation.Helvellyn and The Old Man of Coniston on the cards for early March with fingers crossed for better/safer WX…

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX