Activation report HB/VS-095 Pointe de Vouasson 349

This was a private two days ski outing with the members of CERN ski club. On Saturday we climbed up to Cabane des Aiguilles Rouges 2810m from 1800 m. We spend the night there and started to climb up to the summit on Sunday morning 7:30. The summit at 3490 m was reached at 10:00. I setup my station and called CQ on 30 m at 8:12 UTC. G4SSH replied at 8:17 UTC and gave report 559. Then DL6UNF gave 579 followed by GM4FAM with 579 and DL6KVA 549. Last QSO was with YO9DAF. The rest of the group had already disappeared from the view and the leader of the group Jean was waiting for me to start ski down. So unfortunately I had to give QRT already at 10:30, although there were many chasers waiting. If I would have been alone, the time schedule would have been more flexible, but then this course crosses glaciers with all the dangers involved. I enjoyed the two days outing very much. Weather was nice with good visibility and the wind was no problem on the summit.

Photos: I will add the link when the photos come to the ski club web page.

Equipment: standard FT817ND 2.5 W CW, antenna 28 m wire in loop supported by ski poles and skis

73 and see you again,
Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Heard you briefly Jaakko. Sounds like a good trip. I am sure that the chasers will understand that travelling as a group on taller mountains is often essential for safety - and that necessarily limits the time for activations. That was a key reason for the low number of contacts required in SOTA to qualify for the points.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to F5VGL:

I also heard you Jaakko, but couldn’t get back to you. I look forward to the pictures, maybe you could put them on the Flickr website ?
As Richard says and all Sota chasers would agree, safety MUST come first and everyone would understand your need to travel with the ski party.
Well done on the activation and maybe we will work next time, cw.

vy 73 de Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

These are ski pictures and if you look carefully you will also find me among the others

http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/rando/photos.html

Check the outing 31-03-07 Pic Vouasson. I was also in Pointe des Grandes and in Le Mont Colmet, but no SOTA activity from these. After my activation on Pointe de Vouasson there was no discussion on it, so it looks like tous le monde s’en fou ici. Though the radio could be used in case of emergency to call help if the mobile phones are not working for some reason.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL