Activation Report GW/NW-042

Having finally managed to crack NW-43 on my third attempt, I was determined to beat it’s partner across the road NW-042. This one was a big struggle for me, especially the view that faced me once I had got to the top of the first hill and expecting to find the summit cairn. It was a killer having to descend then re-ascend to the true summit and the thought of more of the same on my way back down was always at the back of my mind.

I opened up on 40 metres cw and met quite a pile up and also QRM wherever I chose to QSY, I must fit a collins cw filter to the 817!!

I could have qualified the summit on S2S contacts alone with Eric HB9IAB/P on HB/FR-031, Al DJ5AA/P on DM/SX-042, Peter ON3WAB on ON/ON-008 and John GW4BVE/P on GW/SW-031.

I ended up with a total of 43 contacts, 37 in CW and 6 in SSB, with no less than 15 DXCC’s worked… G, GW, GM, DL, F, OK, OM, ON, OH, HB9, SP, SH, RV4, YU, LX.

Thanks to all stations worked especially for the S2S contacts and also to DL8YR for spotting me.

73 Mike GW0DSP

Very happy to work you, Mike, and also pleased you cracked this one. Congrats

Peter

In reply to GW0DSP:

I can recommend fitting a CW filter Mike - even at 500Hz it makes things much easier!

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to GW0DSP:

Well done Mike. Pleased you managed to get up the summit okay. It is always disheartening to have a descent section on an ascent regardless of how fit you are… and as you say, you get it again on the way back!

73, Gerald