Activation Report GM/CS-092

My alert for this hill had to contain a caveat on the activation time. It may be a little pimple with a “road” alongside it but the landowner is terminally anal and has surrounded the hill with a deer fence. There are two laybys on the A9 at NN654867 and the access to CS-035 doubles for this hill. After passing through the gate I turned immediately left and followed the track to the underpass below the A9. The track continues parallel to the road (don’t go under it) and the river crossing proved easy and there was a gate in the deer fence (NN658870) – success, the short route! If the river is ever in spate (unlikely) it would be possible to climb the bank to the road, cross the road bridge and descend to the gate. The ascent of the hill is simple enough although it is just rough ground with shaggy heather, no paths; aim for the obvious ridge and the summit is to the right hand side of the lump ahead of you.

Setting up the gear on the summit was a problem, there was very strong wind and the lee of the summit is steep. I manage to get the antenna “sort of” in the air and managed my first CQ at about 1120. I was called by GW7AAV with a stonking strong signal and he kindly spotted me. Then followed 10 minutes of pathetic CQ’s until GW7AAU took sympathy and gave me my second contact. Peter G3PLX called and said that the critical frequency was above 6MHz (unfortunately my freeze dried brain registered that as bad news not good news – but Peter put me straight). Then followed a steady stream of contacts interspersed with a collapsing antenna; will somebody ever design a fishing pole that doesn’t collapse in strong winds? It was good to work new (for me) SOTA contacts G6WRW and G3OHC – hope to hear more of you in the coming months.

A switch of frequencies to 40m (thanks G8ADD for spotting me) brought a few extra QSO’s including regular G0RQL who couldn’t hear me on 60m and ON3WAB who I haven’t worked in ages. After just over an hour of operating it was time to clear up and find somewhere out of the wind for lunch. This is a cracking ridge above the loch and a pleasant walk with excellent views; halfway along the ridge the fence has a gate BUT it also has an electric fence (working) so take care. A contour down into the glen gave some respite from the wind and a good lunch break (late). The track alongside the loch is an easy way out even if the loch is fenced-off (why – can deer really swim a deep broad loch then ascend a precipitous scree slope on the far side ???) The final gate on this track was impossible to open, the catch was jammed tight - so much for the right of access!

All in all a pleasant day even if it did tip down with rain for the last hour.

My thanks to the chasers and in particular the spotters – it now leaves me with just 7 summits to complete the National Park round!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Then followed a steady stream of contacts interspersed with a collapsing
antenna; will somebody ever design a fishing pole that doesn’t collapse in
strong winds?

I think you will find if you use it as a fishing pole it does not collapse in high winds. (Tee Hee) What we need is a radical new design of portable antenna mast probably based on the technology of the fishing poles we are using but specifically designed for the purpose. What I would like to see is one that does not break in high winds. I now have four in which the second section has broken, it is always the second section!

Thanks for the interesting report. I was getting quite anxious when no one was coming back to you. The spot went on and still no-one. I called Helen but she was busy and when she eventually came through you still had made no other contacts. My biggest fear when activating is that I should fail due to lack of contacts and it has been close at times so I always start panic a little on behalf activators who do not seem to be getting any takers. I breathed a big sigh of relief when the calls started to come through.

Good luck with completing the other seven. I hope I am around to work you on most of them.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

Glad to work you Barry, on 60m you were 54 at the time.

It was another unique for me both SWL, HAM and a new WAB area.

Peter

In reply to GM4TOE:

Will somebody ever design a fishing pole that doesn’t collapse in strong winds?

Hi Barry,

The company that manufactures the telescopic fishing poles do another one that looks identical but is a ‘put in pole’. The sections simply slot in to each other and therefore cannot collapse. I use one at home because the telescopic kept collapsing in the high winds. They are more or less the same size, but slightly more expensive. I can supply details if you need them.

73, MIke G4BLH

In reply to GM4TOE:

Will somebody ever design a fishing pole that doesn’t collapse in strong winds?

I have a Steadfast Triumph SF1060 which has only ever fallen down when I haven’t pushed it up properely, probably less than a handful of times. It’s getting rather based now and I expect it will expire sometime this year.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4BLH:
“I can supply details if you need them”

Yes please Mike - off list at barryhorning (at - usual change) btconnect.com

Barry GM4TOE