Activation of Wendover Woods G/CE-005

The first day of my week down in Dunstable with consistent weather. I followed other activator advice and setup at the benchmark on Aston Hill, and as found previously there were no other visitors in the hour and half I was set up. There is a footpath across the field containing the trig point but most people seem to turn back at the top of the woods. My family were with me and they visited the woods and cafe which is around 10 minutes walk from the trig point.

Thank you to all the chasers. I used the mchf clone which I’d calibrated to 10 watts into a dummy load the night before.

This was my first activation where I used the Android Hamlog application to create a SOTA CSV file (manually logging first) and apart from needing to manually edit 3mhz in the file to 3.5mhz to satisfy identifying 80m contacts all seemed good.

Now that I have an xml subscription to qrz.com I can create Google Earth maps of contacts:

Google Earth map of contacts

The single SOTA summit within an hour’s drive from Dunstable certainly brought home how lucky I am to live in the Lakes. I hope to be active back up there over the weekend.

Mark. M0N0M

7 Likes

Hi Mark

Thanks for the report, pics and s2s yesterday.

73 Allan GW4VPX

Yes thanks Allan it was a nice day to be out and I definitely caught the sun! I had a total of four S2S, three in the UK and the longest contact of the day a S2S with SV2RUJ on a summit in Greece.

1 Like