Activating multiple references

Hi all,

I have read others topics regarding the activation of SOTA in combination with other references.

Personnally I do not see what the problem is. In another thread I told that I was on Skiddaw (G/LD-004) and counts for Sota and also for WFF (GFF-008)and of course WAB. If I comply with all programme rules why would I not be allowed to give out both references?
Or should I take the first hour for SOTA and second for WFF and last for WAB? Or the other way round. What if the first hour I go for WFF and the second it starts to rain and I have to pack up? Then this would look a bit funny don’t you think?

On all my activations, beit Sota, WAB, Wff, Castles, mills, railways stations … When an activation is valid for more ref. I tell them all on the air or referre to my QRZ page where all details are mentioned.

What is spotted on the cluster or the sotawatch is also often beyond the control of the activator. I checked my spots on the cluster for the Skiddaw activation and 1 station mentioned both Wff and Sota, 2 others only mentioned the WFF one. None referred to WAB. This has nothing to do with me.

Regarding frequencies. I do not believe in Iota, Sota, Wff … frequencies. I look for a clear spot ask if the frequency is free and then start calling. If at that moment it is a certain freq. used by a programme (say 7.118 or 7144) than that’s fine.

Too much people ( myself included ) depend too much on the cluster and other watchsites and don’t wander over the bands.

Lets stick to the topic title, guys.

Thank you,

73, de Peter, ON3WAB/M6ONL

In reply to ON3WAB:

Hi Peter,

dont forget you also count for DXCC,WAC,WAE,etc. :wink:

Many thanks for all and go ahead with your activations.

Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM,HB9CSA

I forgot about these, Fritz, hihi. I am planning more activations in the autumn. More on QRZ.COM soon.

73, AWDH

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:

I see no problem with activating multiple references, Peter, but the choice to do this must lie with the activator who would have to do the necessary research before setting out. Personally I usually have the QRA noted down for a summit for the benefit of those who don’t do SOTA yet, but don’t usually bother with WAB because the relatively few WAB enthusiasts will be able to sort that out for themselves from our summits lists if they wish. WFF has only just come on my radar, I may or may not note WFF references before starting out.

I never use the cluster but usually have half an eye on our Spots. However by using dual watch on two rigs and the old TS-520S fired up I can monitor five popular SOTA frequencies at once…when the local plasma screen permits - talk about a racket!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to ON3WAB:
And Skiddaw is also a WOTA Peter :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

Oh my god, I lost count now, Roger, hihi.

I had AW’s book with me. Always an interesting read.

It was a beautiful walk up, although some find it boring.

73!

Peter