Accessible Summits

Dave,
A good idea for any new activator (with or without disabilities) is to partner up with an experienced activator and do a dual activation - possibly using the other persons “tried and tested” gear, but take your gear along to try it out.

The first activation is best done on a nice and sunny, but most importantly, DRY day. After that the “challenges” can increase.

73 Ed.

I have not been to North Yorkshire since I was a kid and the YL certainly fancies a trip up there too - that is half the battle solved :wink:

Dave
(M6RUG)

Hi Ed

Yes I need to spend some time reading through the rules :frowning: hope they are not too draconian !!!

Dave
(M6RUG)

Wow thanks Don. A few summits to have a look at there.

As mentioned above, I will need to get my fitness up and sort out how I am going to operate. I don’t expect anyone will want to carry a PC and 24 inch monitor up a hill!

Many thanks for the offer - I may very well take you up on that once a few things have been sorted :wink:

Dave
(M6RUG)

The rules are that you cannot obtain any support from a motor vehicle. i.e. no 12V power lead, no tent fastened to the side of the car or van as rain or sun shade. Don’t even use it as a wind break.

Apart from that you can operate reasonably close to your vehicle - there is no actual distance specified in the rules.

Some activators CHOSE to apply their own additional rule that all equipment has to be carried into the Activation Zone. This is their personal additional challenge and I salute those who do this (I try to as well) - however that is NOT in the SOTA rules.

73 Ed.

I have archive this list off and will need to work on it - far too small for me to read it. Hopeful the base for further research.

Dave
(M6RUG)

With the age of it, it certainly cannot be taken as read

Dave
(M6RUG)

That sounds like my perfect summit :slight_smile:

That would be very nice but will need considerable work and research. I think it will have to be a collaboration rather than an individual.

[quote=“MM0FMF, post:13, topic:12774”]
Or you could all huff and puff and generally achieve 2/3rds of 5/8ths of bugger all as is normal.
[/quote] :frowning:
Dave
(M6RUG)

Yep, love Cornwall so added to the list - thanks Karl

Most definately!

Yes it would be great to work you and the many other chasers I hear too :smile:

Dave
(M6RUG)

1 Like

Yes I agree totally

Start with something simple with the help of a SOTA buddy and the YL as a guide is more likely to produce a positive result. Failure on the first couple of trips will kill off any enthusiasm instantly! and that is not the object of the exercise.

Dave
(M6RUG)

How rigid are those rules ?? no scope for flexibility for those with serious disabilities?

Dave
(M6RUG)

Have you read them?

3.7.1.3 Operations must not be in, or in the close vicinity of, a motor vehicle. No part of the station may be connected in any way with the motor vehicle.

This is deliberately vague. Close vicinity is not defined, thus giving a little latitude where the situation would benefit from it. For instance in the case of one of the G/TW summits activation is normally carried out from a lay-by, where it would be difficult to get very far from a vehicle!

In the interests of inclusiveness, the MT have also been prepared to accept that a disabled person needing a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair may use that to access the operating position but the operating position must still be within the activation zone.

Brian

Yes - that is why I asked the question !

Good, because many people ask without reading.

What, in your case, is the rule causing the problem such that it needs changing?

That is why I asked the question!

There are situations where being away from a vehicle may not be possible or may have an impact on the safety of a disabled person.

This in particular, where certain classes of wheelchair are classed as motor vehicles, is what I was also questioning.

I know it is difficult but vague rules are open to interpretation / abuse.

Thanks Brian that was helpful

Dave
(M6RUG)

I don’t recall asking for any rule to be change ??

I feel sure that IF I activate, I comply with the rules and anything I do is not the subject of debate or questioning.

It also goes without saying that I have not started this thread purely for my own benefit. I hope that others with disabilities reading it may also be encouraged to take part as activators so clarity for everyone is what I am seeking, not just for me.

I am naturally pleased that the MT are open to encouraging disabled people from being active in this program, sometimes, however, being a bit more explicit would help as not everyone has the capacity to interpret, apply and comply with rules within the spirit they were intended.

Dave
(M6RUG)

Indeed not. My mistake.

1 Like

The following is my opinion, I am not an authorised person (not a member of the MT), I could easily be wrong, but of course I think I’m right!

One of the major principals of SOTA (as I understand it) is inclusion. I don’t know what level of disability you have (and it’s none of my business anyway) but from the comments made, I presume you are wheelchair bound.

If your plans are to operate from your (possibly powered) wheelchair and it is not practical to leave it, then I believe there would be no objections. Operating from a car would be frowned upon however, as if one person does it (possibly with good reason) others (without a good reason) will also do it.

At the end of the day, SOTA is a personal challenge not a competition and as such, if you feel you have met the rules to the best of your abilities (and the main person judging is you, yourself in any case), then (in my personal opinion - I’m not part of the MT), you have activated validly.

As I said earlier, some more able bodied activators who also hill walk or mountain climb, set harder conditions to an activation and that is their personal decision for their personal challenge in SOTA.

73 Ed.

1 Like