Accessible summit 'maps'

…and the second post in that topic is one of mine… :wink:

I was bored! This is how the points for Ben Lomond GM/SS-011 would look like using your idea. I did however change it from 1 month to 90 days for the increase in points. It is based on the 6 points it originally has and has been activated 42 times.

I was really bored! Here is the excel formula I came up with if anyone is interested. =IF(AND(D2>1,D2<9,D2+B3<11),IF(B3>0,D2+B3,IF(B3=0,D2-1,“Doh”)),IF(AND(D2=1,B3=0),D2,IF(AND(D2=1,B3>=1),D2+B3,IF(D2+B3>10,10,D2-1))))

73 Neil

1 Like

Interesting.

Unfortunately, using only the existing data we cannot simulate the “dynamic” such a scoring system would generate:

• take a one point summit that is not particularly accessible and does not look very interesting.
    It might stay “unactivated” forever (many of them in F/NO, close to Belgium). Using the idea you tested they would “gain value” and become more attractive for activators looking to improve their score.

• take an easy 10 points “drive on” summit like you can find in Germany. Its value would drop progressively. So it will probably continue to be activated often because it is easy and/or very nice, but its lower value will seem more “fair”.

• take a more difficult summit not activated very often: it will gain value or “stabilize”.

This would probably change the selection performed by the activators and introduce a kind of “self-regulating” dynamic that can unfortunately not be simulated easily.

But again, all this is only food for thought as the current scheme proved very successful for many years.

Thanks for playing with the idea :wink: