Aborted ascend...ZS/WC-053

Aborted my ascend of Reserve Peak (ZS/WC-053) because of bad weather and treacherous conditions. Two to three people lose their lives, in mountain accidents, each year in this area and I did not want to become another statistic. This was my second failed attempt in the last week! Wondering if I will ever bag this summit.
Have just heard , on one of the emergency channels, that a search and rescue is in progress on a nearby mountain range.

In reply to ZR1AAH:Hello I was wondering why this summit is only a 1 point at 844 metres and no one has yet done it it seems a lot of effort for 1 point all the best Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

It’s only a 1 pointer because unlike G, ZS has some proper hills like KN-001 at 3450m. Or 11329ft in old money! :wink:

I did Cross Fell G/NP-001 and was astounded that such a wee pimple was worth 8pts when back home in GM you’d only get 4pts.

What you are seeing is the problem with a scoring system based on height, some low hills require much more effort to climb than their loftier neighbours. Still nobody has a come up with a better system for scoring that is simple to understand and implement. Anyway, it’s swings and roundabouts if you activate enough. The easy and hard ones cancel out in the end.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yep, 1 point for anything under a 1000m, in this area, 2 for 1500, 4 for 15 to 2000, 6 for 20 to 2500, etc. Yet if I go further inland ( same country, different division ) where the average height is over 2000m I just have t0 climb 150m and I can claim 6 points !!! A possible solution could be a height gained /point ratio.
But what the heck I enjoy the challenge and the points are irrelevant. I personally know what I have to endure for my activations.

De ZR1AAH
Allen