Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

70cms UKAC and Fun night

Anyone willing to give a try for an s2s G(W) <> DM/NS on the coming 70 cm Tuesday? Hepburn’s looking quite optimistic:
Hepburn_9-10-2018

Ahoi
Pom

There’s been some good Tropo around October 8-14th nearly every year since I was first licenced in 1990. The first year I was licenced I was driving through NW England and the 70cms repeaters were full of OE/DL stations some of whom I could hear on the input using a dual 5/8 mobile setup. Fair impressed a young lad who had a licence for only 3months.

Seems, nobody’s interested despite the fat tropo today.:face_with_monocle:
Leaves more options for me as I then won’t have to be on a SOTA reference, but any other qth with a good take-off will do also.

Ahoi
Pom

I would normally, but I’m working tonight, sorry.

Tom,

I understand that playing bass, having fun, and getting paid is even better than playing radio, having fun, and not getting paid for it. :wink:
We’re usually both out on the 144 MHz Tuesday, so there’s gonna be the day we make an s2s on VHF. Maths and probability are with us, isn’t it?

Anyway, no path to the UK tonight. And because no SOTA activator was out, I chose a non-SOTA location close to my home. Kronsberg (GMA DA/NI-268) is more a pimple than a summit and peaks at only 118 m asl, but if you take into consideration that I live on the southern edge of the Northern Plains (where the average height is about 60 m asl) and that there are no trees on the summit, it offers a good take-off. 26 QSOs were made (what is not too bad for north-DL on 70 cm) into 5 DXCCs. ODX was SF6X, 575 km. Seems like a good start of the 2018 tropo season. I used my FT-857 @ 40 W PEP and a 7 element DK7ZB @ 8 m agl.

Looking forward to working you on vhf!
Ahoi
Pom

My first time ever on 70cm last night.
43 contacts and 1 S2S

Nice to work you last night. Didn’t realise you were on a summit. Which one was it?

You did better than me. Only managed 35 QSOs.

73, Phil G0UUU.

My local summit G/CE-004 Bardon Hill.
I try to do different summits during the summer contests, and my local one once the nights start to draw in.
A lot of mine were loca-ish, in 93 square.

Excellent. Many thanks for the summit. Looks like you had a decent spread of stations. See you in the next one hopefully.

73, Phil.