70cm

This weekend there is a major European “UHF and up” contest. There should be plenty of 70cm takers for SOTA stations braving the poor WX (here in the UK).

Richard
G3CWI

Richard,

I have heard just one station on 70cm so far today ! and two on 23cm !

I wasn’t really expecting to hear many, but so far it has been dead !

Stewart

Provided the weather stays dry and the wind drops a bit I will be out tomorrow on Winter Hill (SP-010). Will be trying 23cm SSB first then possibly FM. Will possibly try 70cm ssb later and 4 metre FM. Managed to qualify the summit using only 23cm last year.

Keith G8HXE.

I would have been out up a summit today had it not been for the wind. 45 mph gusts here in the lowlands, must have been hell up on the tops. Probably has put off all but the most dedicated contesters.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
Windy over here yesterday with the ‘mafia’ too!
Worked 4 summits, all 2m ssb.
I managed to get 23cm back in the shack, but am now searching for a decent aerial (along the lines of the 48 ele I used to have). The answer may be to construct one…
Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

I managed to get 23cm back in the shack, but am now searching for a
decent aerial (along the lines of the 48 ele I used to have). The
answer may be to construct one…
Graham G4FUJ

Sandpiper do three antennas for 23cm, a 20-turn helix (17 DBd gain), an 11-el yagi (11 DBd) and a 19-el yagi (15 DBd).

Brian G8ADD

PS I’ve just noticed on the current page of the logbook I have 19 one-pointers and one 6-pointer, has it been windy all week?

In reply to G8ADD:
Thanks Brian,

I’m aware of the Sandpiper aerials, plus Comet etc. but no one seems to have a good sized one for 23cm any longer. They all annoy me by using plastic fixings for elements (even Tonna use them now). Plan is to gradually migrate the vhf/uhf beams to something of better (longer lasting) quality, which might also withstand the increasing weight of roosting pigeons…

Suppose I could bay a couple of 19 eles - got plenty of room to do that (but not to stack them…).

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G8ADD:

Sandpiper do three antennas for 23cm, a 20-turn helix (17 DBd gain),
an 11-el yagi (11 DBd) and a 19-el yagi (15 DBd).

I have one of the 19-El, unless the design has improved since this one was obtained around 12 years ago they need some careful water proofing or the feed connection box just fills up with water.

I also have a previously used 35-Ele Tonna, which I acquired a few months ago for /P contest use, but it’s only been out twice so far.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G4FUJ:

http://www.m2inc.com/products/uhf/23cm/23cm35ez.html

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Richard, brilliant!
Thanks (and sorry to hi-jack a thread on 70cm!),

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:
<Plan is to gradually migrate the vhf/uhf beams to something of better (longer lasting) quality, which might also withstand the increasing weight of roosting pigeons…>

Try Wimo, Germany

They are BLABS (includes Brick and includes house!)

Stand up to winds here

Barry GM4TOE