70cm From Stiperstones

What a change from my previous activation on 432MHz (The Wrekin, 10th August). No QRM at S2-3. My son-in-law had planned, along with my XLY, daughter and grandson, to join me for the walk. However, having celibrated Shrewsbury Town’s win and helped me empty a bottle of port, he was in no fit state to walk anywhere.
My old T-mobile phone said it was unable to access the network to self-spot, but the Vodafone one worked.
Using 5 watts from the FT817 and a home-brew 7-el Yagi, calling round the compass on ssb brought 2E0PXW, G4JZF, G3RMD (thanks for the spot), G0RQL and GW4BVE. The change to fm, and again calling round the compass, brought GW4BVE again (thanks for the spot) and M0EAF.
The best DX by far must be Don, G0RQL in North Devon, a distance of about 220km, including crossing the Brecon Beacons.

73s, Dave, M0DFA

In reply to M0DFA:

Pleased to see you are still flying the 70cms flag Dave - well done on the activation. The number of chasers may be small, but their level of commitment is high and it is surprising what distances can be worked, often as you have found over obstructed paths.

Hope to work you on the band sometime soon.

73, Gerald