@700m Beverage

Colin, I would hear your experiences about the 700m Beverage!

The lenght is so huge that how you have installed it?

73, Saku OH2NOS

Saku, it is my beverage to direction South America (250 deg)

Beverages are receive antennas and 2-3m above ground so easy to install, I have 7 here.

Colin had nice signal on top band 2 hrs and on 80m 3 hrs after my sun rise

Here you can listen what you can hear on top band

Marko oh9xx oh3xr

Many years ago during periods of darkness up in Finland’s wilds a group of ISWL ran bev antennas in the woods in middle of no where in many directions towards Asia, Europe, S america etc. Believe shortest was 1km long to include MW signals also and what they could hear from there was incredible according to reports.

In case of breaks in antennas because they were terminated at the ends via a resistor to ground and all had too was pass a voltage down it if voltage not pass through there was a break usually from local wildlife in area.

Mind you this was in late eighties when heard about this type of radio listening let alone sending signals via them

karl

Thank you for the contacts Marko!

Your signal was excellent today, I suspect that not only your RX antenna is special!

I feel bad that my signal is so weak on LF, I only have a barefoot FT817. For 80m, I can use a RockMite and small amp kit to give me 8w, but I would have thought that the difference between 5w and 8w would not be much.

I’ve been exchanging ideas with a ham friend about a home brew amp for SOTA.

Today I was running a SOTAbeams BH4 80/40/30/20 dipole with loading coils inserted at the 40/80m link (centre loaded) for 160m. The loading coils were devised by John G4YSS.

I actually worked four stations on 160m, so I would have qualified the activation on this band alone! My signal reports were all very low whilst the strength of received signals was very good. Maybe next time I should borrow my friends FT857!

Shack was at 4C this morning -

73, Colin

2 Likes

I seem to remember reading about what I thought was a beveridge, back in the 1960’s, operated by the US military in the Antarctic, and said to be several miles long.

A quick look at the internet tonight, produced this, which may be the same one; a 21 mile dipole.

http://www.washington.edu/research/pathbreakers/1960g.html

John

Thank’s Marko for clarification! I was wondering in my head how Colin has been able to install so long wire in summit comparing the work to Finnish summits?

BTW, you need have huge backyard: seven times seven hundreds meter to seven directions! Need to see those one day! :grinning:

73, Saku OH2NOS