5MHz NOV Renewal

In reply to G0LGS:
Mine went in the post yesterday! :o))

Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G0LGS:

I had a telephone call from OfCom this afternoon, said he had my application in front of him and that he had posted the message on the web site. He apologised that the information was incorrect and explained that if you currently had a 5mhz licence it wasn’t necessary to reapply at the moment. He said he would hold my application until end of June and it would be processed then. So no need to reapply if you are currently licensed for five; and if you have you will not get any response yet.
Hope that’s clear?

Mike G0HIO

In reply to G0HIO:

I had a telephone call from OfCom this afternoon, said he had my
application in front of him and that he had posted the message on the
web site. He apologised that the information was incorrect and
explained that if you currently had a 5mhz licence it wasn’t necessary
to reapply at the moment. He said he would hold my application until
end of June and it would be processed then. So no need to reapply if
you are currently licensed for five; and if you have you will not get
any response yet.
Hope that’s clear?

Hi Mike,

It’s clear … but it seems to contradict everything that has been said before! I sent my application a few days ago. I hope they will process it BEFORE the end of June, because my existing NoV expires at 23:59 on 30 June 2010.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Hi Walt, I was surprised others had not been contacted, that’s why I put the post on.
Mike g0hio

From the GB2RS news this week

New 5MHz NoV licences available
Following a request by the RSGB last November, Ofcom announced on 14 May they were able to permit operation of stations by amateur radio Full licensees, using specified frequencies in the 5MHz experimental band, after the existing NoV expired on 30 June 2010 and until 30 June 2015. This follows Ofcom gaining consent from the Ministry of Defence for continued amateur experimentation on these channels. The terms and conditions of the new NoV remain unchanged. Note that existing NoV holders, as well as Full licensees who have not previously held a 5MHz NoV, wishing to operate in the 5MHz experimental band after 30 June 2010 must obtain a new NoV by completing an updated application form that is available on Ofcom’s website. The form can be found at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/amateur/5mhz/

73 Graham G4JZF

My NOV for 1st July 2010 to 30th June 2015 has arrived in todays post.

The letter that came with it and the NOV both have an issue date of 1st July 2010 !

(Edited to correct typing error).

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0HIO:
Update

I too have just received my licence expiring in 2015, so why Ofcom rang yesterday makes no sense at all.
At least we are good to go for five years now.
73 Mike G0HIO

In reply to G0HIO:

Decided it was about time I got one of these NOV thingys. Posted application on Monday. NoV arrived today with start date of 19 May. No other communication from them but fast turnaround I guess.

Now hoping for some cw on 5Mhz!

Reg G3WPF

Mine renewal arrived within the week, however I have a new Call Sign GE3YPQ
both on the license and the covering letter, - Anyone want to work a very rare prefix? :wink:
Phil - formerly G3YPQ

In reply to G3YPQ:

I have a new Call Sign GE3YPQ
Anyone want to work a very rare prefix?

Worked loads back in 1977, so it will only be the newcomers that need that prefix !!!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3YPQ:
Got my renewal in the post this morning, took exactly one week. I didn’t get an “exotic” callsign though, most put out. Perhaps I should reapply :wink:

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

My shiny new NOV arrived in the post yesterday morning.

All details are correct & it has a start date of 26th May 2010. As my original NOV does not expire until 30th June, that means that technically I have two valid NOV’s for 5MHz :wink:

I am just glad we have another 5 years of what is usually a marvellous band, current poor daytime conditions aside.

Thank you to the MOD for allowing the experiment to continue :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

My renewal arrived today. The original NoV was two sheets of paper. The next one was four sheets of paper. This one looks like a significant excerpt of “War and Peace”! I have to say I’m disappointed that they got my callsign correct when all about others have been awarded callsigns which will obviously become fantastic DX magnets.

However, lucky for me I don’t seek DX on 60m, just a continuing series of contacts made “using simple antennas and low power equipment from ad hoc locations” :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF
(and MM0FMF on 60m as well)

In reply to MM0FMF:

My renewal arrived today. The original NoV was two sheets of paper.
The next one was four sheets of paper. This one looks like a
significant excerpt of “War and Peace”!

You must have the Scottish version, Andy! Mine is 4 sheets and a covering letter. It is valid from 18th May 2010.
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3YPQ:
Mine arrived today, I am now GE1KLZ … but was wondering if this callsign is only for the special band of 5 mhz/60 mtrs.

Doug
not sure if I am G1KLZ or GE1KLZ

In reply to G1KLZ:

I am now GE1KLZ … but was wondering if this callsign is only for the >special band of 5 mhz/60 mtrs.

60m only.

Common sense says you should just use the normal callsign rules (G/GM/GW etc.)
Bloody mindedness says you should use the obviously incorrect callsign on the NoV.

Perhaps the truly sensible thing would be to write to OFCOMedians and point out the error of their ways and that it’s not a single mistake and ask them to suggest that the OFCOMedian filling in the forms is trained on how UK amateur callsigns work and also possibly partake of a free eye-test at Specsavers.

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF ( and still MM0FMF on 60m :frowning: )

In reply to MM0FMF:

I queried this with Ofcom and got this reply

"Thank you for your email.

The E in GE3YPQ represents your regional indicator which shows that you are in England.

Regards,

:: Ricardo Barnett
Amateur & Maritime Radio Services
Ofcom Licensing Centre "

I’m now going to ask whether I should use this new call for 5mhz or for all my amateur activities… watch this space!

Phil G3YPQ … or am I?

In reply to G3YPQ:

The E in GE3YPQ represents your regional indicator which shows that you are in >England.

It’s really quite pathetic that they don’t understand their own rules.

Just how much of my taxes does the OFCOM boss get? Let’s see in 2008 the info was:

Ed Richards

Job: chief executive, Ofcom
Industry: regulation
Staff: 800
Salary: £392,343 (including bonus, benefits and pension allowance)

Andy
MM0FMF

One of my Foundation pupils last year had trouble with the online licensing system. Upon me phoning Ofcom, she was allocated M3YUR. I expressed interest that an M3 rather than M6 prefix had been churned out. The gentleman at Ofcom explained that as she was in the North-West of England, her prefix had to be M3 - “because that is a Manchester prefix”.

Tom M1EYP
(Macclesfield prefix)

No, the M3 is in Hampshire!