5 mhz

I seem to be struggling with 5mhz contacts over the last few days, wonder if anyone else is having the same problem … this of course before I venture outside and see if I still have an antenna :>}

Doug

G1KLZ

In reply to G1KLZ:
Conditions seem poor to me. I’m hardly hearing any of the summits (just one worked yesterday). The chasers who normally boom in are audible but weak.

In reply to M1MAJ:
Managed to work Andy MM0FMF/P on cw (559) but the usual strong signal stations on ssb were in the noise - best G0RQL at 44 :frowning: (usually 59+.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G1KLZ:

I seem to be struggling with 5mhz

And 5MHz too! :wink:

It’s the time of year. Really from mid-April till late-September 5MHz propagation during the day is very variable and can suffer badly from D-layer absorption. Normalilty resumes early-October.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Well you have to have something to make it as much a challendge as VHF :wink:
Unfortunately 80m seems to be as poor just now.

Anyone for QRO?

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

it as much a challendge as VHF

I find trying to copy 3 or more CW signals all perfectly netted to me more than enough challenge on 60m (or 40/30m). At least with VHF you can waggle the beam to loose some of the signals when trying to resolve one callsign! And on 70cms getting a few CW calls at the same time would be a joy not a problem :slight_smile:

Good news: I found the 48cms lightweight dish for my 3cms gear. I acquired it some time back and it took a bit of digging to find just where I had stashed it. Now to see if I can find an “Leistungsverstärker” at Friedrichshafen this year and I’ll see if I can finally get on the air.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

At least with VHF you can waggle the beam to loose some of the signals when trying to resolve one callsign!

No time for beam fiddling - too busy concentrating on the incoming!

… on 70cms getting a few CW calls at the same time would be a joy not a problem :slight_smile:

Yes, it happened on Tarn Crag G/LD-026 on 14th May - absolutely brilliant! Mind you, I had two hooked up on 23cms FM the following day from Buckden Pike G/NP-009 and that was also a buzz.

I think 5MHz has proved to be an excellent band for SOTA, but it doesn’t always work. Evening activations in November spring to mind - I recall Paul pulling his hair out on more than one occasion!

73, Gerald

In reply to MM0FMF:

Now to see if I can find an “Leistungsverstärker” at Friedrichshafen this year and I’ll see if I can finally get on the air

Leistungsverstärker - Now that really would be an, ehem, big achievement! :slight_smile:

James
…>>

My extended NoV arrived today. According to OFCOM my callsign has been changed to G3CW1 - this is clearly printed on all the documents.

Richard
G3CW1 (formerly G3CWI)

In reply to G3CWI:

G3CW1 (formerly G3CWI)

Only on 5MHz though. You’re still G3CWI on other bands. :wink:

For a long time my licence said my call was M0FMF even though the address was in Scotland. To be strictly accurate I should have used the call printed on the licence when operating from the main station address and only add secondary location letters when out mobile or portable. That meant I could sit on the drive in the car and sign M0FMF and then instantly become MM0FMF/m when I drove onto the road!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

… I should have used the call printed on the licence when operating from the main station address and only add secondary location letters when out mobile or portable.

Ah (sigh), a little piece of old England nestling in the middle of Scotland. How quaint!

No doubt these anomalies are all caused by disconnected 19 year old clerks who really don’t take much interest in their work and just want the money to go out and have a good time on Friday and Saturday nights.

In reply to G4OIG:

No doubt these anomalies are all caused by disconnected 19 year old
clerks who really don’t take much interest in their work and just want
the money to go out and have a good time on Friday and Saturday
nights.

The best one was away back in 1959 when we held an exhibition in Kilmarnock. They gave us the Special Event callsign “GBM2KR”. We used it, too!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3CWI:

Received my new NoV today. It appears that my callsign is now ME1MAJ.

Martyn
ME1MAJ (formerly M1MAJ)

In reply to M1MAJ:

It’s wonderful to see our regulator is so on the ball at understanding its own rules.

Having re-applied for my NoV I await with baited breath to see what kind of abomination of a callsign they give me.

Of course, given that they seem to be making this up as they go along perhaps we should just ignore them completely and do what we want, on whatever frequency we want, whenever we want!

Andy
MM0FMF (but for how much longer?)

In reply to MM0FMF:

I posted my updated form at the beginning of the week, so have not heard anything yet. Although Ofcom do appear to have made some errors, they are nowhere near as bad as those made by the DVLA. Especially with what happenned to a workmate of mine recently, who according the the DVLA has never had a driving licence because their computer says so, despite having driven for over 30 years.

I am so concerned by their total arrogance & incompetence that I am seriously worried about renewing my photocard next year. They also seem to have a habit of routinely removing motorcycle entitlement for no good reason. Given that a motorcycle is my only means of transport, that could cause a serious problem.

Ofcom have a long way to go to be anywhere near as bad as the DVLA.

In reply to Doug’s (G1KLZ)original question:

Yes, 60m has been very poor of late. I only managed one contact on 60m from Easington Fell last Saturday, with Paul G0HNW near Huddersfield, despite several CQ calls. Of course, I didn’t help myself in difficult conditions by alerting in advance or self spotting :wink:

Thankfully I always have a multitude of bands to work on, & 2m FM was the most successful that day. Of course G/SP-012 is within very easy reach of many 2m equipped stations, which is not the case with some more remote summits.

If you do fancy a test on 60m sometime let me know, I am usually around at weekends & could power up my station on a weekday evening if that would be better for you.

Mark G0VOF

Very poor conditions on 60m today Doug, & also on 80m.

The GB2RS news broadcast on 5MHz this lunchtime did not go ahead, but even the stations on the frequency, including myself, exchanging reports were struggling.

This afternoon, even Paul G0HNW dropped down into the noise here.

I did hear you on 2m SSB today using my short vertical antenna, which surprised me given the terrain between us.

Hope to work you again soon.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply, at least I am not the only one struggling making contacts on 60 mtrs. Band conditions are not good at the moment, even 40 mtrs is not working that well, I could hear Bill WSB today in Scotland but not well enough to work. Mind you dont expect miricals with a old TS 430 and 1/2 size G5RV or the V9 vertical but when conditions are right …

Thanks Mark and good DX

Doug
G1klz