40m Absolutely Abysmal

I wonder if anyone else is struggling on 40m ?
It has been flat as a pancake with me, although I did manage to make a few contacts yesterday with a struggle, today it is even worse!!
I have never known such poor conditions to last for so long.
I use 3 different antennas and it’s the same on all of them.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Is your antenna switch plugged in Mike? :slight_smile:

In reply to G0AZS:

Many a true word…

I have checked them all out Marc and they seem ok.

I use my 60m dipole through an atu, a half size G5RV and a Hustler 5 band vertical and it’s the same on all 3.

I even tried the FT-857 and FT-817, just in case the front end of the IC-7400 was sick, still the same though.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

I have 40m on now Mike on 7.165 RSARS net and Dave GM4FOZ is 59+ with me here in York.

73 Terry

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike

40m remains in poor condition here, with deep QSB.

The main problem is that we are at the peak of mid-summer (propagation-wise, not weather-wise) and many activators from HB9, HA and OK are using an FT-817 with a max output of 5w to a dipole (2.5w if on internal batteries) and they just do not make the trip into the UK on 40m in these propagation conditions.

Compare this with Klaus DF2GN, who also uses 5w but has an impressive long antenna and uses 40, 30 and 20m - you can thow away the headphones and relax safe in the knowledge that you are going to make an armchair copy on one of the bands.

73 Roy G4SSH

I only have one antenna at the moment my trusty G5RV. Just took down the vertical butternut. My new DX88 Hy Gain has arrived yesterday and will be mounted at ground level with lots of ground radials.
So hopefully conditions will improve as they have been non existant these last few days.

Peter

In reply to G4SSH:

Hi Roy

I thought/was hoping that was the case. I know that 40m is running ok with qro, as Marc says, the net is 59+, it’s the EU sota stuff that is a big struggle under present propogation conditions.

30m is probably the answer, it’s a pity more ops don’t use it.

OK on Klaus DF2GN, what can anyone say, hi, Mr. reliable, and always a big signal to th UK, as you say, nice to ditch the headphones when Klaus is on and lean back for the armchair contact, superb.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

as Marc says, the net is 59+,

Think that was Terry G0VWP… I wish I could be listening but I’m at work :frowning:

30m is probably the answer, it’s a pity more ops don’t use it.

Yes please… I’m hoping that 30M will enable me to hear activations from SM for the next few weeks.

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Apologies Marc…not just my radio that isn’t receiving properly:-)

73 Mike