4 metre Multimode Rig

Hi All I have been hearing rumours that there may soon be a a 4 metre multimode transciever being imported from China ? has anyone got any info Thanks ATB Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

I would have thought the Chinese would be rushing to design, prototype and manufacture such a rig given the hundreds of millions of sets they will sell. It’s a no brainer to ignore such a vast market isn’t it.

Not only USB/LSB but AM, FM, D-Star. Also PSK31, Contestia, WSPR, JT65 support. 10000 alphanumeric memories, a 40x8 touch display, DTMF microphone, Bluetooth. 125W output from an external supply or 25W out from its internal batteries which you can charge via its USB port. All this for only £139 if you sneak yours in without paying the VAT. I can’t wait.

Andy
MM0FMF

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy you didn’t pick up on the video phone feature. You can use the camera built in to the microphone or plug one in to the USB port. It also has a memory card slot for storing you eQSLs which also works with the voice keyer function.

Not April already is it?

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy, I assume there will be a bluetooth headset included in the price, otherwise I’m not really interested.

Gerald G4OIG
with sincere apologies to Geoff who asked a serious question.

In reply to G4OIG:

Bluetooth is an extra £4.

In reply to G6MZX:

You would be better informed if you visited a dedicated radio forum rather than the kindergarten

Bobby

In reply to GM7GAX:

The question that needs asking is why would the Chinese make a multimode radio? And why 4m?

What business case exists for such a venture? They don’t make any multimode hiband VHF or UHF radios. The worldwide market for non-HF SSB radios is negligible and is almost entirely the realm of radio amateurs.

Where would you invest your R&D? Designing equipment for an exceptionally limited amateur market (4m SSB in some European countries) or worldwide business market with billions of potential customers. The Chinese radios on offer are not aimed at amateurs, it’s merely convenient for us that these business radios happen to tune across some of our bands.

Some models are well made pieces of equipment that work well. They’re good value to us to. But only because the designs are hardly leading edge and the Chinese currency is artificially valued.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy,

I always believe in ‘never say never’.

I agree with the probable present lack of demand for such a thing, funnily I only made the comment last night in an email to someone regarding that rather golfing for a year(the drink is cheap), a 4m multimode could change my mind.

There is allegedly an application/ petition made to the ARRL regarding the 4m band, I cannot remember where I saw this but this would certainly help to stir up the big three.
Not only Geoff would like one (I know transverters etc).

I thought the response made to a post made in good faith deserved a more helpful response.

A Happy New Year to all…in advance

Bobby

In reply to GM7GAX:

Name the multimode 2m only radio currently sold by Yaesu?
Name the multimode 2m only radio currently sold by Icom?
Name the multimode 2m only radio currently sold by Kenwood?

Name the multimode 2m only radio currently sold by anyone?

If there is insufficient business worldwide, with 2.5 million amateurs, to support a single band multimode radio on the primary VHF amateur band what on earth makes anyone think that the arrival of 700000 Americans onto 4m would cause a manufacturer to rush a 4m multimode into production?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I cannot answer your question regarding the big three as it is nothing I have wanted or looked at.

In an ideal world, we all would like certain things, me ? Guess it looks like attempting to hit a wee white ball about again this year…

Like I say, never say never…

Bobby

In reply to GM7GAX:

There is allegedly an application/ petition made to the ARRL regarding
the 4m band, I cannot remember where I saw this but this would
certainly help to stir up the big three.

There is indeed such a petition, directed to the FCC, it was the subject of a thread on QRZ.com and originated from Glen, K9STH, a well-known amateur from Texas. The FCC move slowly so don’t hold your breath!

Meanwhile, it will be a while yet before the FT847 is too old to be useful, and that can be twiddled to give you several watts on 4 metres.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GM7GAX:

You would be better informed if you visited a dedicated radio forum
rather than the kindergarten

Somebody needs a shot of Christmas spirit! If it is out there I am sure someone will find it and you will hear it here. I just think most of us are somewhat sceptical.

I hope the rumour is true. There is a massive untapped potential and the big manufacturers always play it safe. If we look back to what happened to UK motorcycle manufacturers where when the Japanese came along, they innovated and killed the great British industry stone dead, then I can see the potential for Chinese radio manufacturers to do the same to the transceiver market. I hope they do it, if only as a sort of revenge for what happened to BSA, Triumph, Norton and so on.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi All.I Have just come off the phone to the supplier who is hoping to import this transciever.There is one in the design stage but it will only go in to production if they can sell enough to make it worth while.As for those who want to call the supplier a clue as to who it is all I can say is baby sheep.ATB Geoff G6MZX