2m CW

I had some fun with 2m CW last year. I picked on it as an unusual combination, rarely seen on SOTAwatch Spots, and experimented to see if some interest could be built up. It could. I got to the stage where most times I used it from a summit, I would be called by GW0DSP, G4BLH, G4OWG and one or two others. I always meant to build on that this year, but the GI SOTA opportunity came along and my attention was demanded by 80m.

I tried 2m CW again today, and whole I only had 3 contacts - one of them has inspired me to do more. I managed to read GW0DSP sending me advice to beam East for ON4CAP. I did, called him, and amazingly back he came. I completed a straightforward QSO with Andre, with RST 449 reports going in both directions.

But should I have been so surprised? I can work most of the UK and Ireland with 5 watts on 2m SSB from a summit, and I already knew that CW reaches the parts that SSB doesn’t reach! So, this is now my new inspiration for the summer. How many more countries can I get on 2m CW? I will be posting some alerts for 2m CW activations (and if DSP is on form, the spots will appear as well), so please look out for them and see if you can hear me, like Andre did today.

I will start tomorrow, but then again I am planning a whole host of bands and modes for tomorrow - so DSP will have to be at the top of his game! :wink:

2m CW - it’s the future…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom, I guess to say that you are chuffed with your 2m-cw contact with Andre is an understatement, hi. I will do my best tomorrow, but with all of the S5 alerts I may just be a tad busy;-) and I am getting dragged out to a barbie near GW/NW-070 at approx 1330 GMT, I suppose I could try a rain dance and get it cancelled;-) However, good luck with your activation tomorrow.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M1EYP:

Not sure why it is so surprising. I have worked into DL several times and I know of at least one other activator has worked in SP using 2M SSB.

Doesnt matter whether its CW or SSB, the most important mantra (and I know I am not following this at the moment) is that you gotta be on to work it.

But doesnt 2M DX feel good :slight_smile:

Ian
G7ADF

In reply to GW0DSP:

… and I am getting dragged out to a barbie…
Send Ken instead… :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

PS Hope to be at “The Woods” tomorrow… maybe with 2m CW and the Sotabeam now…

In reply to G0AZS:

In reply to GW0DSP:

… and I am getting dragged out to a barbie…
Send Ken instead… :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

It has put me in turmoil Marc, do I stay in and chase Sota, or do I go to the barbie where the food is excellent and the beer fridge never runs dry. No contest;-) The barbie it is.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
No contest;-) The barbie it is.

so does this mean won’t be many spots then,
as when and where a summit comes on the airwaves Mr reliable is always around, oh well might have to use self-spot then :wink:

Steve m0sgb
might gave a summit a try tomorrow

In reply to G7ADF:
And the biggest thrill in 2M DX is sporadic E, I mean when there’s meteor scatter or an aurora appears those in the know are waiting for it, but Es strikes out of a clear blue sky. Happy the man on a summit when suddenly without warning the 2M band is full of S9 european stations - and this is the best time of year for it!

Brian G8ADD