2m Conditions

The activators who worked the 2m band today, would have experienced some interesting conditions. There was some ducting but it seemed limited to to the West side of the UK. From G/SP-004, I worked all four countries G, GW, GM and GI today on 2m FM with the vertical …rare to get GM on the vertical from SP-004.

Plenty of s2s the best being G/DC-001 and the trip to GW/SW-018 was a surprise, also worked by a couple of other chasers 'tup North. Not quite the bonanza I was hoping for, however next week looks interesting.

Watch this space…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Plenty of s2s the best being G/DC-001…

Thanks again Mike for the S2S onto High Willhays. It made my
day-trip from Cambridge to Dartmoor all the more worthwhile!

73, John M0VCM

In reply to M0VCM:

Great to work you John, your audio was excellent, it was as if you were stood next to me…

Must have cost you a fiver per qso in petrol :wink:

Best 73
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike,

I was speaking to you from our kitchen on the handheld with slightly better than normal signal from you.

However, just after I went to make coffee I could easily hear Paddy, MW0PAD. Correct me if I’m wrong, but he’s in Holyhead which I believe is ~130 miles from me. Now that’s NOT normal using a handheld in my kitchen!

All the best,

Rob

In reply to G7LAS:

Hi Rob,

Yeah, I worked him at 0820 utc from Shining Tor.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

No sign of any real ‘lift’ conditions around here (Cheltenham) over the last two days, but I see that Hepburn’s shows that there is a possibility of some over the next 3 days.

Stewart G0LGS

Quick 2m Report for yesterday.

Well, conditions continue to be “interesting” if somewhat erratic on 2m.

From SP-004 and SP-013, working with the triple 5/8 collinear, contacts were made down to London, GI, GD, Isle of Wight, Cornwall, what would be normally an impossible contact on a vertical with MW0CTX near LLanelli and and a nice 300km hop with EI9GLB in Wexford…

Admittedly, many of these would be routine contacts on a beam, but then again, none of the hassle of turning a beam for me.

Conditions look set to improve for the weekend. However, those amongst you who follow Hepburns, will be well aware, predicting tropospheric conditions more than 24/48 hours ahead, is a concoction of crystal ball and voodoo.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Think I would prefer the “hassell of turning a beam” rather than lug a 24 foot co-linear plus 3 aluminium poles up a big hill! :wink:

Mind you…I always seem to end up carrying something for you?

In reply to G1STQ:

Mind you…I always seem to end up carrying something for you?

Does “17Ah SLAB” and “flat”, ring any bells with you ;-))))

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
LOL Will you ever forget my small indiscretion?

In reply to G1STQ:

Don’t worry John, I won’t forget “Bucclesfield” anytime soon!

Tom MO1EYP

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Conditions look set to improve for the weekend. However, those amongst
you who follow Hepburns, will be well aware, predicting tropospheric
conditions more than 24/48 hours ahead, is a concoction of crystal
ball and voodoo.

I gave up following Hepburn when on the last occasion I spotted that he had predicted enhanced propagation right in the centre of a stonking great Atlantic depression!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

But who has right?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I don’t know, but three rights make a left!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I gave up following Hepburn when on the last occasion I spotted that
he had predicted enhanced propagation right in the centre of a
stonking great Atlantic depression!

I’ve abandoned a couple of planned activations that were made on the back of Hepburn predictions 4 or 5 days in advance, Brian.

If a week is a long time in politics, it’s an eternity in terms of propagation predictions.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I used to compare Hepburns predictions with the 5-day weather charts issued by the met office, and often there seemed to be little correspondence between his predictions and the weather charts, I was already coming to the conclusion that his crystal ball had glaucoma when I spotted the Atlantic depression howler! I don’t mean the sort of enhancement you can get along the line of a warm front or warm occlusion occasionally, this was the sort of patch of enhancement that was more typical of an anticyclone, right where it couldn’t be!

The best predictor IMHO is an aneroid barometer and transceiver memories full of beacons!

Apropos, the sort of huge opening that brought in most of Europe at 59 over several days seems to be a thing of the past, a pity, we used to almost live for them! Still, I think Es on two is more frequent than it used to be, so its swings and roundabouts!

Brian G8ADD

2m further update.

My quest to find some dx on the 2m band proved pretty fruitless from G/SP-015 and my confidence in Hepburn is beginning to wain somewhat.

The HF frequencies were also proving difficult. Not a single contact on 40m despite calling CQ with 50 watts for about 15 minutes :frowning:

20m wasn’t too much better with just 11 contacts, a couple of bright spots being Rich N4EX and Phillip VE1VT.

Being the glutton for punishment I am, I’ve decided to take another shot at 2m tomorrow on G/WB-005 Long Mynd. I’m not holding my breath!

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike

As suggested by you last night, I went out and had a play on 2m SSB in the contest! 84 QSOs across 12 UK squares and 10 QSOs into France, Belgium and The Netherlands, the DX gods are clearly with me.

Make a Halo loop Mike, Omnidirectional Horizontally polarised SSB and have a play!! I think you can buy them for about 20 pounds. I have never understood why people that don’t have the space (or neighbours) for a horizontal beam, don’t put up a Halo loop! They happily sit under a Colinear and give you 20dBs of gain that you lose on cross polarisation!!

Good luck Mike! If you’re still up there at 1730 local time i will give you a shout!

Matt G8XYJ

Perhaps you are just not in the right place at the right time Mike.

Last night I was operating from a hill top near Birdlip (IO81WU) with 50W from FT-847 and 9 Element Tonna I managed 80 QSO’s (I played S&P for nearly 2 hours, called for last 30 mins) - ODX 726Km, 2xDL, 1xF, 2xGM - 17 UK Squares.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G8XYJ:

Hi Matt,

Very nice evenings radio.

TBH, I regretted my choice of summit as soon as arrive on The Cloud, this morning. Should have gone for a bit more height and maybe even a beam.

Working with the collinear has made me bone idle :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY