2I0NON & GI4OOE Mourne Mountains Expedition

Now this has me confused, as I can’t see any logical route for these that would go anywhere near the Mourne Wall. The nearest the Mourne Wall gets to either of these is the summit of Slieve Muck GI/MM-007 to the East, and on the opposite site of the B27 road.

We went from that road, over Pigeon Rock Mountain (non-SOTA), thence over Slievemoughanmore GI/MM-009 and finally onto Eagle Mountain GI/MM-008. The return route was almost the reverse, save for an improvised “contouring around” rather than over Slievemoughanmore.

http://tomread.co.uk/slievemoughanmore_mm-009.htm
http://tomread.co.uk/eagle_mountain_mm-008.htm

From your description, I am guessing that you started from the Rostrevor-Hilltown road, but the wall encountered from there is the Batts Wall. I empathise with your experiences of the “Ulster Way”. That route has signposts and stiles, but only bog and water to actually walk on most times I’ve encountered it!

Cairngaver GI/MM-017 is a bit of a joke - but it’s still a point and a unique, and I guess you’re both ready for a “drive on” hi! Congratulations on the region completion, especially in 8 days. It took us several trips over several years to do likewise.

Have a look at the photos on the links above - I take it we enjoyed “slightly better weather” than you did?

Tom - Yes of course your are correct it wasn’t the Mourne Wall but it was the one that you have to walk on a bit to stay out of the water! We parked at car park at J 224 257 - I can’t remember the name of it hi hi! I will check out the photos when I get home.

Nick

Congratulations guys on completing the Mournes in one expedition. Great effort, well done. I have about 4 still to do so may complete some time! A pity your trip coincided with quite poor HF conditions.
My experience mirrored yours on Eagle and Slievemoughanmore. I started from Leitrim Lodge car park on the Rostrevor - Hilltown road and routed through The very wet and boggy ground to Batts Wall. At times the only way to stay afloat was to contour along the fence line clinging to the fence. I descended on the ‘Ulster Way’ route and at no time found any evidence of a path. I put it down to my errant navigation skills, but I did not pick up a (quite good) path until I crossed The Rocky Water stream. Easy walking from there to the car park. Not a great route compounded by heavy rain!
Toms route over Pigeon Rock is much better.
I think this pair is the toughest walk I’ve experienced in the Mourne summits.
73, Frank

Indeed, but only because you did them from that side Frank. In terms of “toughest Mourne walks”, it sits only third on my list:

1. Slievelamagan GI/MM-006 from Silent Valley Mountain Park.
  2. Slieve Bernagh GI/MM-004 and Slieve Meelbeg GI/MM-005 via the Trassey Track
  3. Slievenmoughanmore GI/MM-009 and Eagle Mountain GI/MM-008 via Pigeon Rock Mountain.

Only now do I realise how much thanks are due to Jimmy for his attention to detail and comprehensive research when planning routes. I tend not to get involved in route planning these days; I just go where he tells me to!

For the GI summits, I think he has a good read through the posts on http://MountainViews.ie

And I’m finally at that point where I can start adding my notes, reports and photos of the Sperrin Mountains on my website. It will be interesting to see which we will finish first (as activators) - GW or GI.

Congratulations Geoff and Nick on ticking off all the Mournes (I’m sure the last one is a formality) we, like Frank, still have 4 to do - 'but I’ve got them on the list! You should find Scafell Pike just a (longish) doddle after all the training walks you’ve been doing in GI. Hope the weather and bands behave for you.

Rather intrigued by your ‘pocket rocket’ with 40w - what is it? I know it is much too powerful for me to use and I am happy with my 5w VX-7R (unless I get stuck on only 3 contacts…)

Viki M6BWA

If you’re ever stuck on 3 contacts Viki, then all you need to do is insist Rod sets off first on the descent!

Cairngaver was just what we needed to finish off the Mournes, an easy walk across a very small field to the trig point. We tried to get away with using the VX7 handheld at 5 watts to a whip antenna but this brought in only 1 contact. So Geoff pulled out the pocket rocket and connected it to the the dipole on the 15 ft mast strapped to the trig point and this brought in another 7 contacts. We finished much sooner than planned so we headed straight to Larne and managed to catch an earlier boat and this got us back to Scarborough for around 22:00.

Colin - We understand the mix up with the callsigns - I did try and look up 2E0XSD but couldn’t find that call anywhere - hi hi!

Viki - The pocket rocket is our name for a Yaesu FT-1802, probably made for mobile use. However, we use it with an external lipo battery and we also carry a spare lipo and a VX7R in case we have to work each other to qualify a summit… I think that you could use one of these if you were out with Rod (under his supervison) if my understanding of the licensing rules is correct.

Frank - You are right - a very tough one indeed, at least we didn’t have heavy rain!

Thanks again everyone for a great 8 days of SOTA!

Geoff & Nick

1 Like

Hi Nick,
I think the rig and the callsign have to match. Hence a Foundation call can operate a 400w club station as long they are supervised by a full call and use the club call sign. When using a foundation call, it can only be used on authorised bands and at the power the call sign is allowed to use (ditto Intermediate call). So Viki could use the 40W rig but only under Rod’s call sign. However under SOTA rules you can acrue points under a different person (or club) call sign, so Viki would get the points even though she operated under Rod’s call sign. For both to qualify a summit eight sparate chaser contacts would be needed as I expect most would not work the same station call sign twice.

Ed.

If only that were true.

1 Like

So that’s not correct that Viki can get points even when operating under Rod’s call?

Chasing from a club station is valid to acrue points - so where is the difference when operating another persons station & callsign under supervision?

Aha - :open_mouth: I’ve just realised - there’s no way to enter an **“operating under the callsign” ** in an activators log - only in a chasers log!

Is this a technical restriction of the input panel / database fields, or is the intention that all activators must operate under their own callsign (and hence licence restrictions) ?

Actually how it is meant to work:

If Vicki uses Vicki’s licence the points go to her.
If Vicki uses Rod’s licence and operates under the same limits as her licence i.e. 10W limit then the points go to Vicki.
If Vicki uses Rod’s licence and operates under his llimits i.e. 400W limit then the points go to Rod.

i.e. you can use any callsign you are entitled to use (club calls, operating under supervision etc.) but if you use the extra permissions that licence has you cannot have the points. If you want the points from those privileges you should consider upgrading your licence, that’s the thinking. The points going elsewhere does not preclude beginners or even people still in training from operating and experiencing SOTA activations/chases.

I think there is, it’s on the page where you select the summit you are activating :wink:

OT: I have to say that I am impressed at what a number of activators like Vicki can and have achieved using essentially a handheld, VHF FM and simple antennas. I took the easy route of HF and CW. But it shows what can be done with a bit of effort and determination.

Yes, that’s it Ed. Similarly, a Foundation or Intermediate licensee operating a club callsign wouldn’t be valid, or an F/I station operating outside the UK on another’s Full call under supervision.

Points accrue to the operator, and that person needs to have the appropriate licensing for what they are doing.

Yes, club calls are fine, providing that the op is a full licence holder that can supervise his/her own operation.

ABSOLUTELY 110% agree! Well done to the foundation and non-HF-CW activators - all power to their efforts.
Ed.

I take it, that’s an MT ruling related to claiming SOTA points? As a Foundation or Intermediate licensee can of course legally operate a club station under supervision (or indeed alone as long as they operate within their licence restrictons).

F/I calls do not have reciprocal rights outside of the UK, but that’s not what we are talking about here.
Depending upon the country however a Full/Advanced licensee is able to allow anyone (even unlicensed) operate his station under his(or her) supervision. This capability allows scouts to operate during JOTA for example.

P.S. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Nick!

Yes, we have always felt that how you engage in SOTA should be in accordance with your own licence. Without that, any unlicensed person could progress in SOTA, and indeed that very idea has been proposed on more than one occasion. I feel the stance gently encourages people to make progress through the tiered licensing system. Certainly worked a treat on my son!

Admitting my error here, you are of course correct, section B allows entry of the call sign used - makes sense as it can’t default to your user account that you logged in as, when one has activated abroad it would be different - I should have known as indeed I have entered a different call sign in this field myself when entering a log from an activation performed in Italy or Austria :flushed:

If this reply comes from M0XSD then you can delete the OT stuff Andy, if not I got something wrong for a third time tonight:)

1 Like

Sorted, thanks Andy.