250+ Uniques

I think one of these is Ann Bowker, who has a useful website at:

http://www.keswick.u-net.com/

…which details her ascents of all English, Welsh and Manx Marilyns.

Has Alan Dawson himself (the creator of the Marilyns list) done all 1557, including the stacks, or does he have them to do as well?

More importantly, have either of them done Mynydd y Cwm yet?

Tom M1EYP

Many thanks for the congratulations and comments. It isn’t easy doing SOTA just activating Uniques from here in Northampton, but I have the great fortune of having the means (just!), a very supportive XYL and an excellent conspirator and accompanist in the form of Paul. I certainly would not have made 250 at this time without Paul who has been great company on all of the 108 joint activations we have carried out together.

As for those with huge summit totals in the hill-bagging arena, it would appear to me that they must be committed to their chosen pastime to the exclusion of all other aspects of a normal life. I don’t see anyone involved in SOTA being that focussed (or should that be blinkered) as we are all communicators and sociability is an important part of our pastime. Of course, very few summit-baggers linger on a summit for longer than a few minutes, while some of us tend to overstay our welcome on occasions!

Now someone will tell me Ann Bowker has 6 kids, works 40 hours a week in an executive job and looks after elderly parents as well…

73, Gerald

Now focussed like Paul on 300…

Now focussed like Paul on 300…

Nah - means nothing Gerald. 500 is what you want to be looking at, you get a certificate for that :wink:

More seriously now, I still find it fascinating that self-set personal goals are chased so enthusiastically, even when they don’t coincide with one of the offical SOTA awards. I always seem to be focussing on one personal goal or another, while the actual SOTA award certificates just happen to come along periodically as I am doing so!

Although I must admit to an increasing awareness of the seemingly elusive 3 chaser points I currently need for my 5000 certificate.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

All my goals are self-set and I don’t go in for self-congratulatory bo…s. I know there is a debate coming up which will happen in my mind when I (God willing) achieve Mountain Goat. Don’t be surprised if I don’t apply for any kind of certificate or even the trophy.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Same here, Gerald, I never applied for any chaser certificates or the SS award, but when I have chased my 1,000 uniques it may be different, that is my long-term goal - and there’s about 150 to go!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Self-made goals are always more rewarding to achieve than other peoples goals.

and there’s about 150 to go!

Well start listening from this Friday onwards Brian. Your namesake Brian G(M)4ZRP is coming up to play and I have a shedload of uniques lined up. I would guess we’ll be able to offer at least 8 new ones for you. In fact 4 have never been on the air at all!

Andy
MA0FMF

Congratulations Gerald on activating 250 uniques.

I’m sure that some people including Alan Dawson have climbed the Sea Stacks on the St Kilda Islands.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Great, Andy, I’ll probably miss a lot as I will be out myself for a couple of tiddlers but with luck we’ll make it s2s.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3EYP:

Congratulations Gerald on activating 250 uniques.

Thanks for that Jimmy. It won’t be long before the congrats will be returned for you and your Dad making the magic number.

I hope that summit number 250 is something special for you like it was for me - a 10 pointer, almost 3 hours on air, 5 band activation, 55 QSOs and above all a brilliant walk in what must be almost the best, if not the best weather for walking and activating I’ve every experienced since I started in SOTA in 2006.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Gerry

It will be interesting to see if you and Paul manage to engineer “goating” at the same time and on the same summit.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Richard,

I’m not certain we will manage that challenge - at the moment I’m slightly ahead in the points game and Paul slightly ahead in the summits game, but the future will be what it will be. We will have to look at it nearer the time, but quite frankly if we can’t manage it, I’m fairly confident that we can arrange to be present at each others ascent to goatdom. It will certainly be no hardship to crack open two bottles of Champagne rather than one!

73, Gerald