250 points

Saturday 10 may 2008 at 0830, this was the day and start time I had set myself to climb 3 summits all 1 pointers to gain my 250 points in activator section.
After coming so close to obtaining this milestone last week I was determined to accomplish the whole expedition.
I had searched for 3 suitable hills via this website and with google earth. If possible I wanted to find 3 unique summits for me and close together to save on travailing time and fuel for the car. The nearest and most convenient summits I could find to fit this criteria were G/WB-014, G/WB-018 and G/WB-015 in this order for activation.

So with the trusty FT-817 and homebrew linked dipole with 3 ele sota beam for backup I travelled to my first summit of the day.
Travailing from home along the A38 then A5 and motorway I arrived to the outskirts of Shrewsbury, here I switched on the TomTom to guide me the rest of the way to wb-014.
I found the church and path as described in the summit info and started my assent. When at the top I found a lovely sight with the old mounds of the hill fort swathed in blue bells. I decided what I thought was the highest point and set my station up. I tried 80 meters at first but got no reply, so switched my linked dipole to 60 meters. After a few calls I had a reply from G0TRB and he said he would spot me but I think in his eagerness to do me this service, he forgot to give me a signal report. I called him several times but no reply, so sorry no QSO but thanks for the spot. it was bad conditions again on HF but with 5 contacts in the bag and no more takers I could hear I packed up the station. When I was removing my fishing rod from the old stump I had lashed it to I noticed a plastic box hidden inside. It was left by G1INK so signed the book and put it back. First one I have ever found but I don’t really look for them.

Back to the car and TomTom took me to wb-018. I parked opposite the house on the hill where the man was ready to greet me with ‘ its not a public car park’ I thanked him for this information and carried on as normal. He sent his dogs out to entertain me with there barking. Quickly over the road and into more blue bells, across a field and at the activation zone. I decided to start with 60 meters this time and as I was setting up I heard M3WDS/P on my hand held. A quick hello to wb-009 and then to 60 meters. great first contact with summit to summit to GI0MJG/P on GI/AH-007. Then 7 more to qualify the hill. So I packed up again and back to the car.

Soon I was at wb-015 my last hill for the day. With great enthusiasm I climbed up the steep path to the top and set up for 60 meters again. My 4th and qualifying contact was with GM7PKT/P on GM/WS-096, this contact was very pleasing as it brought me to my 250 activator points. With 3 more QSOs on 60 I tried 40 meters out. Very heavy qrm on this band but did manage 4 more contacts.
Felling very pleased with myself I climbed back down to the car and drove back home.

Thanks again to all chasers for making this possible.

73 Dave G0AOD

In reply to G0AOD:

Hi Dave .

Congratulations on 250 .
Unfortunatly you just disapeared into space so just spoted you and waited I could hear you but too weak to call .

73 Roger

In reply to G0AOD:

Hi Dave

Many congratulations on this achievement. I’m sure Roger, like me, will remember working you on your first activation. Doesn’t time fly, - it only seems like a few weeks ago!

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ

In reply to G0AOD:

"When I was removing my fishing rod from the old stump I had lashed it to I noticed a plastic box hidden inside. It was left by G1INK so signed the book and put it back. First one I have ever found but I don’t really look for them. "

Thats a coincidence Dave - I found one of mine on Hegdon Hill at the weekend. I placed them for G0PZOs SOTA cache challenge, but some werent registered so I removed the one from WB-023.

Steve.

In reply to G1INK:
Well plenty of people have signed the book and a lot of stuff has been left inside.

Thanks for all comments, 500 points next.

73 Dave

In reply to G0AOD:
In reply to G1INK:
Well plenty of people have signed the book and a lot of stuff has been left inside.

Thanks for all comments, 500 points next.

73 Dave
Dave just wondering did you sign the book, if so do you think you could get hooked with geocaching, you can find more information here,

http://www.geocacheuk.org

not sure if you have tried this new part of another hobby, You can also find these caches on the way to the top of any summits. These can be any size, big,large small or nano’s, The fun is finding them, In sota we do have a large number of activators, who are cachers, go on give it a try “you know you want to” if you need any information Dave then e-mail me m0sgb@yahoo.co.uk

Steve m0sgb