23cm from mid wales today

Well I’ve never heard the expression before and was also mystified until the explanation came along. I even Googled it without success!

So if flat side is horizontal polarization, what is vertical?
Lumpy side?
How about describing left or right hand circular :slight_smile:

Pete

In reply to G7RHF:

Great to see the growing support for 23cm! SOTA has been a great boost for the band.

I don’t personally collect points, but thanks to SOTA activators and chasers generating traffic, I manage frequent contacts here in North Wales and treasure every single QSO. We have to thank the Alinco DJ-G7 too, which has enabled myself and many others to access the band. For the record, I use the 'G7 with 1W into a 19 element yagi - vertically polarised. I also use a double-quad when travelling light.

I look forward to getting out regularly in spring and summer. If you’re intending any 23cm FM activity - post it as an alert and I’ll get up a local SOTA summit to work you! If you fancy a sked, mail me: mw0dnk (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Vy 73, Rob MW0DNK.

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Sorry for the late response, Mike. My PC was down at the time you posted and I’ve only just remembered to dig out this thread.

Its interesting that youre using the Diamond X-5000 /p. This antenna
is becoming quite popular amongst activators. You are the fourth
activator that I`m aware of that uses this particular antenna. Have
you used it on VHF or UHF from a summit?

We have been using it /p for about 12 months now. Initially it was just when Neil activated (+ carried it up), then I started using it for gain on the lower ones. I soon found myself using it on all except the 10 pointers, although I did take it up Helvellyn last year and also up Glyder Fawr for my MG. The x-5000 itself is unbelievably lightweight but for an easy & quick set up we use quite a heavy duty telescopic decorator’s pole which is very stable when guyed and so easy on a fence post. (I am thinking of doing some longer walks including WOTAs and these may well be MFD only).

The given gain figures of the Diamond X-5000 seem respectable for a
antenna of a manageable 1.8m length when working /p (maybe a little
shorter when broken down?)

X-5000 broken down is 1.62m, the collapsed decorator’s pole 1.3m, both are just short enough to carry in the rucksack side pocket unless going through a forested area with more than the odd low tree (However, one has to be careful not to knock the owner out when bending down to stroke their dog)!

At £140 pounds, not a cheap antenna though…

We were lucky and bought it secondhand. Having tried it though, I would replace at the full price if necessary (grumble, grumble).

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to 2E0XYL:

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the info. I too took a collinear up Helvelyn in the rucksack and caught it in quite a few trees :frowning:

How much does your heavy duty telescopic decorator’s pole weighs?

The reason I ask, is I use something that weighs 368 Grammes and will easily support your colinear.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

No idea of weight Mike - Neil thinks it’s quite light but I feel every extra ounce of weight. It’s only the ease of use that makes me take the pole up; none of this twisting to lock and struggling to collapse - simply slide up and it clicks in chosen position, then press button to release lock. It also has a reasonable width base which makes it sturdy when guyed and the antenna mount just slots on with a nice snug fit so no fiddling there either, in fact we leave the mount on the pole and just add the co-linear + radials and coax.

If i wasn’t out myself tomorrow, I might have met up with you at Bwlch Penbarras. Hope to catch you S2S.

Karen

In reply to 2E0XYL:

Having tried it though, I would replace at the full price if necessary

You must have money to burn! You can make something with the same gain for a few pounds. Even buying all the bits new and some cheap Chinese tools in case you don’t have anything suitable will still leave you with £125-ish left over.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike
Karens decorators pole is 0.90kg,& opens upto 2.4M , there is a slightly
larger pole 1.9M,that opens upto 3.3M,but,weigh 1.3kg.
Hope thats of some useful info to you Mike. 73s Bob G6ODU

In reply to MM0FMF:

You must have money to burn!

Feels like it every time I fill up with diesel!

You can make something with the same gain
for a few pounds. Even buying all the bits new and some cheap Chinese
tools in case you don’t have anything suitable will still leave you
with £125-ish left over.

Sounds great Andy! 1 antenna with same gain as the Diamond X-5000 or better on all 3 bands please - easy to carry, durable, quick to erect/dismantle and no heavier. I’ll put cip for £40 and that will leave you with £25-ish profit.
(we can manage BNC, N-type or PL-259 connectors - well one of us can)! :slight_smile:

Karen
2E0XYL

In reply to G6ODU:

Thanks for that Bob. I knew it was heavier than Mike’s - must meet up with you sometime Mike.

Karen

In reply to 2E0XYL:

Hi Karen,

No problem. Catch you from a summit tomorrow. Not absolutley sure which one yet.

73 Mike
2E0YYY