21 Apr 2018 NA<>EU S2S event

That’s what I was suggesting - with the comments made so far moved over.

Sorry I was writing the W4C summit name fixing script and not paying attention. So yes, create a thread for the next event and move the relevant posts to the new thread. You should have all the earned privileges by now Gerald to move posts about. However, if you’ve not done it before I would suggest going to the “lounge” area and creating some threads and posts to practice on. You need to start at the top (oldest) part of the thread you want to move and mark the the posts to move in date / time order. Do a few at a time not lots, it works better. It should move the posts in date order but sometimes that doesn’t happen.

You want me to give you my lucky anvil for you to hold? :grinning:

2 Likes

No anvil please… and I’m only trust level 2.

Nothing at all Barry. I’m not fussed when it is, but some consideration should be given to propagation, otherwise we could all find ourselves sitting on summits in glorious sunshine without a Trans-Atlantic QSO being made.

Although some have suggested that I am the organiser of this event, it is actually organised by all who partipate. I would therefore not wish to dictate when it is held, particularly as I am happy to operate in poor weather conditions at any time of year. The matter needs to be discussed.

73, Gerald G4OIG

What’s wrong with September?

2 Likes

As far as the spring 2018 NA-EU s2s event, I recommend holding it in conjunction with the QRPTTF (“QRP to the field”) event. QRPTTF took place on April 22 this year.

That idea was suggested for the first event in 2017, but your comment was that the events should be kept separate -

“The QRPTTF event on 22 April 2017 was mentioned as a possible NA-EU S2S event. But realize that QRPTTF is specifically and fundamentally a QRP-only event, which means maximum power of 5W on CW and 10W PEP on SSB. If the power guidelines can’t be respected, the events should probably be separated.”

Presumably having experienced both, you have changed your mind.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I could do a week day event, as long as life doesn’t suddenly change my plans and cause me to put the radio on the shelf. Which is what happened to me last weekend. I’m sorry I couldn’t participate.

Yes, there’s no reason they can’t take place at the same time. Some SOTA activators can run QRP and participate in QRPTTF, and other SOTA activators can run higher power if they wish and not submit a QRPTTF log. The bands never get that crowded with QRPTTF participants.

I’m with Barry in running it along side QRPTTF. My gut(and it’s a big gut!) feeling is most SOTA activations are QRP anyway (certainly CW) so there wont be an issue and people run as QRO as they like if they are prepared to carry the batteries!

I think the Northern hemisphere Autumnal propagation improvement doesn’t really become noticeable until the end of October. Nothing wrong with September, just makes it a bit harder to get from my Northern location to W7/W6 etc. Perhaps it may encourage more antenna experiments?

So +1 for running along side QRPTTF from me. September is OK for me too.

3 Likes

Yes, you were sorely missed Kevin… well, I missed you. :slight_smile:

As for 2018, I would very much like us to keep the event going through the sunspot minimum and I certainly think aligning it with the QRPTTF could be good for both events. As to whether we run a second event later next year is open to question, but we can always leave that question for now.

1 Like

I like these events but in the past they have been held around the (UK) May day holiday weekend. The bank holiday weekend is usually hopeless for me due to XYL’s birthday, my birthday and our wedding anniversary!

I vote for any spring weekend except the last weekend in April / first weekend in May. In 2018 May day actually falls on the 7th though.

Hopefully QRPTTF will take place on April 21, 2018 and, if so, that would work for you Colin.

Maybe we can get some FT8 NA-EU s2s activity as an experimental antidote to depressed propagation.

There’s a bunch of you NA chasers that don’t need propagation!

April 21st sounds good at this point but life tends to get kinda busy in spring, into the summer!

My step dad has just treated the family to a motorhome (RV) to share, so no doubt we’ll be planning some adventures when the warmer weather arrives.

Data modes don’t really inspire me but I think I’ll give them a go just for the experience!

73, Colin

5 Likes

I try to work the QRPTTF from a summit, so it would work well for me if the two events were scheduled the same day.

1 Like

I read the rules Malcolm and saw the “Theme” -

Then I read on and found SOTA operation is equivalent to RIVER operation -

It looks to be a reasonable proposal to have the NA<>EU S2S event on the same day. I couldn’t see an explanation for not including the WARC bands, but it is what it is. Presumably antennas are unrestricted, so setting up something with a bit of gain could compensate for the difference between the 30 watts out fairly common in the NA<>EU S2S event and the 5 watts in the QRPTTF.

73, Gerald G4OIG (still smiling from my first S2S with VE)

1 Like

NA-EU s2s will still be free to use the WARC bands. Just don’t include those qso’s if you submit a log for QRPTTF. “30 watts fairly common” might be true of SSB but it would certainly be a small minority of CW activators in NA-EU s2s. The vast majority of cw activators are using 5-15W.

73, Barry N1EU

Hi Gerald

Thank you for your work!

I fully agree with Andy. It’s ok running the event along side QRPTTF and Sept is ok for me as well.

I’m sorry that I couldn’t take part in the last one,

Vy 73 de Pedro, CT1DBS/CU3HF

1 Like

So, April 22nd is the date. I got time to build me another 2 element yagi then. I’ve been playing around with 1 already.
Malen
VE6VID

1 Like