144.333 / 432.222 sota

As far as I am aware, I was the instigator of the use of 144.333MHz and 432.222MHz for SOTA. It is therefore interesting to see that others are “adopting” the frequency, indeed one activator actually emailed me to say that he would be “borrowing” my frequency for an activation. Paul G4MD generally uses the frequency when we are carrying out a VHF / UHF only joint activation. Well, neither of these are “my” frequencies, just my choice borne out of an idea that they might be reasonably memorable and an aide to chasers. Robert G0PEB is a regular user of 144.333MHz (I did note that Robert chose to use 144.320MHz when we were activating summits concurrently last weekend - thanks for that) and others such as John G1STQ are now running the frequency.

In my role as 70cms Editor for Summitsbase News, it appears that much of the 70cms activity is based on 433.400MHz in Slovenia. Regular readers will be aware of the high level of activity in the country and I wonder whether adopting a frequency for SOTA use has contributed to this.

The question is simply to ask whether there is merit in adopting frequencies on 2m and 70cms in the same way that SOTA activity is generally centred around 3.666MHz, 5.3985MHz, 7.032MHz, etc?

I appreciate that this has been loosely discussed in relation to spotting activators on calling frequencies (please don’t restart that discussion here), but I would be interested to see what others think.

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Guilty as charged your honour! I have posted a couple of Alerts for these frequencies. If others do the same it may enhance the chances of S2S contacts and as you say Gerald may also aide Chasers.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

In reply to 2E0FSR:

When activing I do try and keep the same frequencies for me its
145.575fm
7.033cw
10.115cw
14.055cw

I think set frequencies could be a good thing if you are not able to be spotted.
Downside when they are busy where do you go next, I am sure most people catch you on a sotawatch spot to see where you have ended up.
At least if you see GM0UDL going up a sota, I have my set places to try and get on.

Andrew GM0UDL . PFR3, linked dipole, Lipo power .

In reply to GM0UDL:
I agree Gerald!

It makes sense! I will now make sure I endeavour to use these frequencies!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

432.222 is of course an SSB frequency, is there a recommended FM frequency?

With the likely increase in SOTA activity across the pond, it is worth remembering that the band plans in the USA are mandated by the FCC and linked to license class. One result of this is that the commonly used 40 metre SSB frequency of 7.118+/- is not available to US hams and a frequency near the top of the band will maximise possible transatlantic traffic.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

432.222 is of course an SSB frequency, is there a recommended FM frequency?

My suggestion would be to adopt 145.400MHz and 433.400MHz, but that’s just my preference based on what sits neatly in my rounded mathematical brain. As Andrew says, there is the possibility that a 2m FM frequency will already be in use and which one will vary across the country. To a certain extent the same will be true of 70cms, but I often call on the calling frequency without any response - in my opinion the band is severely under-used in the UK.

Overall I would think that the selection of an FM frequency is not as important as one on SSB since FM operation is channelised and it is easy with modern rigs to scan across the channels. The use of 144.333MHz and 432.222MHz has the advantage of being easy to remember, not too far off the calling frequency and not a 10kHz multiple so there is less risk that someone may move off the calling frequency directly on top of a SOTA station.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

but I
often call on the calling frequency without any response - in my
opinion the band is severely under-used in the UK.

You’ve hit the nail on the head, Gerald. Use it or lose it…

A huge band, which no doubt, .gov would love to get their hands on. In my area the 70cm activity could best be described as dismal. In order to drum up a bit more interest, perhaps a 70cm SOTA weekend or some such contest would be something for the SOTA management team to consider?

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

70cm UHF Fun Day for 27th March this year. There are some alerts posted. Would be good to have a S2S or work you from your home qth Mike.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

In reply to 2E0YYY

Hi Mike,

To Hijack this thread slightly, Chris 2E0FSR already has mentioned the potential for a UHF fun day! This is due to be on the 27th of March at 1200GMT. However the Clocks will have gone forward so be aware of that! Some stations have already started to add alerts for this date (Myself included)!

I agree with your sentiments on 70cm being underused! The beauty of this band is that we can get really good antennas with plenty of gain in a small space! I had a great time up on G/WB-004 using 70cm SSB and 23cm FM.

I will have to grab my Sandpiper 5 ele more often and use this band on a regular basis! Or I will have to intergrate it into the 2m/23cm dual band beam!

I am hoping to be out this weekend however the WX looks awful, the prospect of overtime at work is looking a more viable option! I have no issues with walking in Rain, but opertaing in rain is not my cup of tea!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Use it or lose it - very true! Even the repeaters seem dead around here.

Its a far cry from the middle 60’s when 70 cms was thriving and people were worried that 2 metres was under used!

If I can get a suitable antenna working in time (playing hooky from re-decorating the house!) I will do something for the UHF Fun Day.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

“when 70 cms was thriving”

Eeeeeh, I remember when I lived in Worcestershire, we used to beam East early every morning for the “early morning lift” into the continent. I remember it used to happen almost every day. First we would hear the Syledis qrm (a locator system superceded by gps) then as the ducting lengthened the syledis would dissappear to be replaced by stations from ON, PA & DL.

Is it just me, or have all the big tropo openings dissappeared. I seem to remember every time we had a decent high pressure system we used to have massive tropo events lasting for days. Nowadays, the same systems seem to produce little or no tropo ducting at all. Eeeeh - the good old days.

ps - going to GM for 8 days tomorrow, hopefully I will activate a few summits, severe gales & heavy snow permitting.

In reply to G1INK:
I bet the tropo openings are still about Steve, but the people are no longer putting CQ calls out or listening to the calling channels! BTW how is the 4m Anytone rig from China? I am half tempted for the car?

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to G8ADD:

432.222 is of course an SSB frequency, is there a recommended FM
frequency?

For what it’s worth, 430.150 MHz is a popular mountain frequency in Germany, namely in Saxony. They also use 145.575 MHz a lot, apparently because many, many years ago the mountain enthusiasts around Dresden started out with crystal-controlled rigs on this frequency. Not that it is very likely that we would hear them on FM from the UK, but just in case someone wants to go there …

73, Jan-Martin

In reply to 2E0XTL:
Hi Matt - I`m impressed with the new rig. Only used twice - Shining Tor 2 contacts & Pendle Hill 12 contacts. It seems quite robust but not too heavy. I understand it is supplied with both a standard mic & a dtmf mic with lots of buttons for the same price, depending on where you buy from. Mine came with the posh mic & was sourced from an emporium in Barnsley.
sri to reflector police for wandering off topic :wink:

In reply to M0CEF:
Re 70cms: I have been licensed coming up for a year and half and have made less than 10q’s on the band.
The lack of activity this far north means I’m planning doing a 300 mile round trip for the activity day just to get a little closer to the border. Hope to work plenty o stations on they day. I think some form of recognised frequencies has it’s ups and downs. But generally I think it will be a good thing to have.

Who is going to come up with a list that everyone will be happy with? And how is it going to be publicised to everyone outside Sota to know that we will be on these frequencies?

Adrian

In reply to G1INK:

OffTopic bit:

going to GM for 8 days tomorrow, hopefully I will activate a few summits,
severe gales & heavy snow permitting.

It was a bit breezy in the night but I was sheltered for the wind direction. It was 1C and snowing hard at 8.00am but only about 2cms on the ground which was melting fast. No snow visible on the ground at the moment. There’s more to the West and North than here in Livingston (approx 450-600ft ASL)

OnTopic bit:

Having some preferred VHF/UHF QSY frequencies makes sense to me.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1INK:
Sounds good Steve! I have a Birthday in July so it may be a summer treat! There may be a few 2nd Hand units kicking around on Ebay by then as well!
We will have to organise a Low band VHF fun day in the early summer - 50MHz and 70MHz at noon on a June day! Sporadic E should be kicking around by then, fingers crossed!

Yes the UHF fun day should bring some more people out! I’m hoping for my first S2S on 23cm FM if all goes well! It would be nice to work some DX on 432 as well! GM and GI would be good contacts from MW/SW or WB!

As per FM channels, I would leave them alone. Whenever I listen on 2m FM on a hilltop you get many locals having a natter so really I dont think that you can establish a SOTA Freq unless its away from the norm spectrum of 145.400 - 145.575! Alternatively we could go around the 275 mark or use 12.5 KC spacing channels!

Anyway to Hijack this even more

I wonder what people would think of the possibility of doing a low band (50MHz and 70MHz) VHF fun day in Summer?

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to MM0TAI:

Re 70cms: I have been licensed coming up for a year and half and have
made less than 10q’s on the band.

There seems to be a general lack of activity on 70 cm - but sometimes you can increase your QSO count by asking on 2 m if your QSO partner is also qrv on 70 cm. The same might also work for 6 m where it seems that many people are only waiting for good DX conditions. It might not yield extra points for SOTA under the current rules, but maybe a new locator or WAB field for your collection …

73, Jan-Martin

In reply to 2E0XTL:

In reply to G1INK:
I bet the tropo openings are still about Steve, but the people are no
longer putting CQ calls out or listening to the calling channels!

No, Matt, I regularly check the beacons and v/uhf just doesn’t work the way it used to. Wierd!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Well if there is less tropo about then assuming there are still stations to work and/or beacons to hear then tropospheric conditions must have changed in the last 15-30 years. A possible indicator of some overall climate change perhaps?

OffTopic: I’ve just checked the rainfall radar prediction for Strathclyde and Lothian&Borders, make sure you bring your SCUBA gear Steve!

Andy
MM0FMF