1296 MHz Antenna for SOTA?

Hi Andrew,

Very neat construction! Moreover, you have used recyclable material for the boom to keep the CO2 footprint low!

This conversation about 23 cm antennas for SOTA started right when I wanted to buy a new VHF/UHF handheld and it prompted me to go for an Alinco tribander! I will have a 23 cm antenna soon, thinking about a double quad, MFM design in a lunch box.

73 Heinz

Hi folks

Today from Big Badja VK2/SM-059 (QF43SX) using a SG-Lab 23 cm transverter and a homebrew 23cm 12el yagi, I worked Dave VK2DJS (QF46PV) on SSB over a distance of 324 km. My best long distance 23cm contact in only four weeks of operating on 23 cm. :slight_smile:

The signal had mulitpath characteristics with an obvious audio ‘flutter’ indicating possible aircraft enhancement AE.

FT-817 IF feeding a SG-Lab 23cm transverter 2.5 watts

view south from Big Badja VK2/SM-059

view north beaming at Dave VK2JDS from Big Badja

73, Andrew VK1AD

5 Likes

I would put money on it!

Great performance considering the low power from these transverters (and good ears at VK2DJS).
What was used at the other end?

Based on the photo Dave sent me, just after the QSO, plus reading his QRZ page, it would appear Dave is using a 4.6 metre dish. His 23cm station is at 940 metres ASL

Cheers

Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

< Louis Balfour > Nice! < /Louis Balfour >

:grin:

Dave VK2JDS is an experienced EME operator on 1296.

VK2JDS is great to have at the other end of a 23cm activation. He’s in a few of my logs on 23cm. I give him credit for 95% of the QSO. He’s also really good at remotely fault finding your gear as I found out last week end when on Mt Walker.
Plus he enjoys it!
Compton

http://i.imgur.com/ThpYjm7.gif

Hi all

Activated Livingstone Hill VK2/SM-093 (6 points) today on 23 cm 1296.150 SSB. Al VK1RX/2 activated ‘The Peak’ VK2/SM-068 (8 points) 78 km south at 180 degrees also on 1296.150 SSB. Both Al and I were using SG-Lab’s 2.5 watt 23cm transverter. Al’s antenna is the delivered HB9CV 2el yagi while my antenna is a homebrew 23 cm 12el yagi. Signal reports between Al and I were 5-9+ each way.

Both Al and I qualified our respective summits on 23 cm, stations worked; Rob VK1KW 61 km, Ian VK1BG 56 km, Rod VK2TWR 90 km and Matt VK1MA 61 km. Al was ~140 km south of Canberra, not bad for 2.5 watts and a 2el yagi.

On 2m 144.2 USB additional VHF DX Net stations were Mat VK1MT 35 km and Steve VK2NSS 86 km both north of Livingstone Hill.

Qualifying a VK summit on 23 cm is a great challenge and comes with immense personal satisfaction when four unique contacts are made. :smile:

VK1AD 23 cm station, temperature is 3 degrees C, wind is a cold north-westerly at 20 km/h.

Yagi heading 180 degrees south to work Al 78 km over the horizon.

23cm and 2m/70cm yagi antennas

Al VK1RX 23 cm station at The Peak VK2/SM-068 140 km south of Canberra. 23 cm transverter and antenna are both mounted to the tripod pan head. Note the rocks to prevent the tripod from blowing over in the strong wind. Photo courtesy of Al VK1RX.

73 Andrew VK1AD

3 Likes

Can you please point me to the design/dimentions for this antenna?

Stewart GM0GTU

The double quad design came from Bert Modderman’s site. Bert Modderman PE1RKI

I’ve built both 23 and 13cms versions and they work well.

Beware! Don’t go browsing his excellent website or you’ll waste hours looking at all the groovy stuff he has for sale. :grin:

I’ve just found that my 23cm yagi fits into the packaging from a commercial “white stick” colinear. In this case Watson, though I think other makers use simillar display sleeves.
This adds almost no weight, and makes it much easier to carry without snagging on things.
I spent some time pondering how to make a carry bag for it, then noticed this sleeve rolled up on a shelf in the shack :o)

To all who are interested in 23cm antennas

Here is my latest addition to my collection of homebrew 23cm yagi antennas.

I have constructed an ‘all brass’ robust 6el yagi for SOTA. This DL6WU design employs a gamma match. I used VK5DJ’s ‘Yagi Calculator’ software to determine each element length and spacing. Element lengths are within 0.01 mm, while element spacings are within 0.5 mm.

Gamma match - variable piston capacitor

Element and boom details courtesy of VK5DJ

5 Likes

Somewhat cruder, the key is to reduce the losses by making the transverter part of the antenna. There is <300mm cable from the transverter to the Driven Element (DE).

The antenna is 4.7mm Al Rod and the DE is brass tube. The boom is 15mm water pipe and if you use a 4.5mm drill the interference fit will hold the elements in place. I only had a 5mm drill to hand so hold the elements with cable ties. The DE is held in place with a modified pipe clip.

The whole bundle will sit on the top of a fishing pole at 4-5m AGL. With 10 elements the beamwidth of the antenna it wide enough to make alignment not too critical. It can be mounted horizontal or vertical with a minimum of effort.

The transverter is a SG-Labs box powered by 8 or 9 lithium AA cells. It has worked well over a 136km path using FM. 880m >> 200m ASL.

73 de Andrew G4VFL

2 Likes

Hi Andrew

Pleasing to see others experimenting with homebrew design and construction. Achieving the first QSO on a hombrew 23cm antenna provides immense self satisfaction. I bet you are proud of your efforts, well done :slight_smile:

73, Andrew VK1AD

Construction of a homebrew 23cm HB9CV. :slight_smile:

73 Andrew VK1AD

Andy

Finally got around to making a Bi-Quad for 23cm.

73 Andrew VK1AD

7 Likes

That’s really pretty and so much neater than mine.

What did you use as the two standoffs?

Hi Barry

Two 32 mm lengths of plastic sprinkler riser tube. Each end is secured by a cable tie. The whole antenna assembly is quite rigid.

Andrew