10GHz SOTA

Just had a chat with Ian GW8OGI on 80CW. He mentioned that he made his first 10G qso recently and hopes to be QRV on that band from the Clwydians next summer. Several people have previously expressed an interest in 10G and there are now 3 SOTA people known to have gear (G4ERP, G4BLH and myself). Is anyone else likely to appear? We need one more to be able to qualify a summit with 4 s2s contacts…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard,

I knew that Ian was ‘dabbling’ so it is good to know that he is making progress. I did not get much opportunity last year to get out and about on 10GHz, but I fully intend to do so next year (weather permitting as usual).

Mike

P.S. It took 25 minutes from you posting your message to me being able to read it in full on the reflector.

In reply to G4BLH:

Same delay here. It is very odd. Steve’s last post appeared instantly. I suspect that I have a second-class user account.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I’ve got all of the bits running. I can get about 70mW out of the TX stage now. It just needs “SOTAising” for use on mountains. ie putting into a box and an interface board building to handle ptt and 24V generation for the relay. I’d hazard a guess that getting the output upto 1W would be a sensible plan too.

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

It was delayed here. Infuriating when you get the 1st sentence or two and have to wait for the rest.

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

ISTR that you were at that stage at the start of the summer! 1W is certainly a useful power level although even 70mW will get you long distances if the paths are lightly obstructed.

There are a few more GMs who have got gear for 10G since last year so you may even have some locals to contact.

I did very little 10G from SOTA summits this year although a SOTA activation on Moel Famau gave me 4th place in the 10GHz Trophy Contest:

Quite pleased with that considering that I was only QRV for four hours in a 24hr contest.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

We need
one more to be able to qualify a summit with 4 s2s contacts…

I mean two more. Surprised that our resident mathematician didn’t correct that.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Mathematics is too elevated a subject to be concerned with mere arithmetic! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

Wow!

News travels fast…

There’s still work to do on the 10GHz gear (a box would be nice…), but it works OK. I only have <100mW but have been told not to worry too much about that, especially from hill-tops. It still gives 100W erp with a 30dB dish after all!

I’ll not be waiting for summer. I’m lucky in that I’m close enough to the hills to be able to make a snap decision if there’s a break in the weather.

It would be fantastic if we could get a simultaneous activation going, two summits would be great, more would be even better.

Looking forward to more 10GHz contacts, next time will be a SOTA summit.

73, Ian.

In reply to GW8OGI:

Hi Ian

“snap decision”, “<100mW” and “10GHz” don’t live very comfortably together in a paragraph I’m afraid; especially from Wales. I have done several such activations on 10G but have only made contacts by making a nuisance of myself on the UK uW reflector and on KST, and having a mobile phone loaded with numbers of likely 10G QSO partners. Even lengthy “trails” of activations on the uW reflector only give a handful of contacts (and then only if you are lucky). The most useful person for you to get to know is likely to be Russ G4PBP. He has saved my bacon several times by being my only contact. He has a good site, a good system - and likes making contacts.

By far the best fun is to be had during the UK uW group cumulative contests where it is quite possible to make lots of contacts. There are five sessions each summer. If we manage to get a few more SOTA people active, co-ordinated S2S contacts would be a lot of fun - and even quite easy on many long paths. The other essential ingredient is talk-back. 2m is only monitored by uW people during known activity periods and KST is (very) hard work on a hilltop.

I suspect my comments above may explain why Richard 'ERP was not active this year. I think that Mike 'BLH has found it hard going as well. The uW people are not interested in chasing summits; and it appears that many are not really interested in having contacts!

All that being said, 10G is still a lot of fun and does represent an interesting challenge. I can only recall one time where I did an activation and made no contacts (Knott - N Lakes). With a bit of luck and a lot of effort some really amazing contacts are quite possible. But don’t expect them to come easy!

Looking forward to our first s2s. I can sometimes get out on 10G at short notice so feel free to e-mail me for contact details. Good luck!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
3 watts, 400mm dish and it weighs a ton so can only carry it up a tiddler when mobile again. I am up for it when the weather is warm (if that ever happens up here!)

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE and others already active:

Are we talking SSB here? I’m not set up for 10GHz yet but want to go that way (though it will have to wait until after the homebrew 23cm setup is done - got to start with something easier!). Maybe for summer 2011 unless miracles happen.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

Are we talking SSB here?

The activity is a mix of CW and SSB. Most of my longer contacts were made on CW.

Richard
G3CWI

Anyone want to try for an S2S on 10G over the holidays?

Richard
G3CWI