100W on SOTA HB/GR-114?

In reply to G4OIG:

The only conclusion I would like to make and getting back to the original theme by Peter HB9CMI, is that I agree with Tom. SOTA activations mean different things to different activators and provided that the rules are observed, power, bands, modes, battery or solar power, it’s down to the activator to choose what pleases him/her.

Hence my terminology, “The activator is king”

The activator does the hard work to reach the summit, may he/she enjoy their chosen MO.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

I wholly agree Mike. I select my equipment to suit the summit, the ascent, the weather and any other appropriate factor. As you know, the power I use can vary from a few watts to a small antenna up to 150 watts to something considerably larger (e.g. Myarth GW/SW-035 and Craig y Castell GW/NW-074). Another variable is activation time which, in my case, has varied between around 20 minutes (The Cheviot G/SB-001 - minus 10 deg C) to over 4 hours (Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012 - plus 16 deg C).

Sometimes you’ve just got to chill out!.. applies to BOTH the above examples!

73, Gerald

In reply to HB9CSA
Dear Fritz
I could believe that they worked like written in the rules (english version page 10 point 6). 100w with portable power source ? Also the point 3 “final access to the summit must be person powered” is made dubious for me. i know, “the final access” is a undefined distance. So Fritz as i wrote before, i accept Toms words and i wouldnt criticize any unbelievable occurrences.

73 and gl Peter HB9CMI

I don’t know the circumstances of the activation in question. But I will assume that it was carried out in full accordance of the rules.

Here in England, John G4YSS regularly uses 100w from a summit. He always uses a portable power source (SLAB) and always walks to his summit, often great distances. (For nearly all summits in the UK, it is not possible to get any other form of transport to the summit anyway). So it does not follow that use of 100w means that either the “person-powered final ascent” or the “portable power source” rules have been broken.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Peter, can you tell us which activation you refer to? You mentioned that there were 3 activators who all worked each chaser, but without knowing who you refer to we can’t comment. There is no problem with 3 activators who all work each chaser. Maybe it was their final ascent mode that you find dubious?

Vy 73
Mike GW0DSP

The title of the thread is the clue here Mike!

I understand it could be frustrating for chasers if there is a bit pile-up and every chaser chats to each of three activators before the next one is called in. But, as you say, that is fine, for the style of operation is just as much the activator’s choice as the band/mode/power.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Dr Mike, it was the activation from yesterday HB/GR-114. I found dubious 100W on about 3000m with “portable power source” and “personal powered ascent” and working on HF and VHF. But now, Tom explained that your OM G4YSS also hat 100W on his activations. For me it was dubious till now. No problem anymore
SORRY for my topic. It would be nice, if we could see any Photos of this activation like my uploads from my activation or many others.
73 Peter/HB9CMI

In reply to HB9CMI:

Hi Peter, no problems I understand your point. I have also used 100w from a few smaller summits, which is ok.

No problem and no “sorry” needed for your topic Peter.

Vy 73 and I look forward to our next SOTA CW QSO.

Mike GW0DSP

Hello Tom
Is there a reason why I’m not on the "World top 20 activator (points)"
I have 1494 points?
73 de Charlie

In reply to G0PZO:

Charlie, the MT has been working on the database, see incorrect activator scores thread. I would suggest that you email one of the MT and all will be put to rights.

73 and happy new year to you.

Mike GW0DSP

Hmm, not sure Charlie. You certainly should be in there, and you’re not the only one to have been mistakenly missed out. The Database maintainence work shouldn’t have affected any activator scores outside of DM, and not even DM scores on the date I captured them anyway.

The only possibility is that you significantly updated your log between the end of November and now, but I don’t think that is the case. I’ll redo that list now anyway.

Thanks, Tom M1EYP

Got it! The first list was based on summit points only, not including winter bonus. That wasn’t what I intended though, so I have corrected the list in this thread above.

Tom M1EYP

Thanks very much

In reply to HB9CMI:
Guido HB9TNF/p work normaly only with his FT-817 an max. 5 Watt
The most of his SOTA Aktivities is hard work. He walk often more than 1000m
altitude. and many hours.
It have also other old mans, they goes with the car into Germany and make 3 or 4 Peaks in one day. And the walking time and altidude ???

Guido darf sich auch mal einen gemütlichen Gipfel erlauben ohne dass er wie üblich 1000 Höhenmeter abraggert.

Freundliche Grüsse HB9HAT Mario